We we make samples

I'm almost done with a Mission sideboard for my dining room. I made a sample door panel to practice inlaying and show my wife inlays made of QSWO (like the door), cherry. and maple, and give her the final choice. The practice inlays came out GREAT! I sanded the panel, spray bombed it with shellac & lacquer to get a better finished effect, let it dry, and brought it to her.
Her: "What are those?" Me: "Inlays, just like the Stickley sideboard you like" Her: "I really like the door better without them"
So, I'll have three chamfered panels, and no inlay... <G>

Your whipped. ;~)

Funny how that goes, isn't it? Spend a lot of time with a "feature" added to something and then get the, "I really liked it better plain" comment. It does save time on the real thing though. [Not that anything like that has ever happened to me, I've only heard about it ;-) ]

I feel your pain.
I find SWMBO doesn't visualise well, so despite describing in detail what is to be done, unless I can do a drawing Rembrant would have been happy with, she can't see it, until I've made it and then she decides she doesn't like it that way, and "Wouldn't it be easier if I left those bits off?"
E.G. SWMBO's mother recently had a stroke, now without getting too far into the debate of what I can do for my dog that I can't do for her, her life is pretty damned dismal. She will never, walk, sit or even eat again.
She can't see her TV in two of the three positions she spends each and every hour in, so I say "I'll build her a trolley that the staff can wheel around to match her position." So far so good.
I propose an H shaped arrangement with a double bar in the middle between which is the DVD player. The TV fits into the space above the top bar and corkboard covered doors close in front so pix of friends and relatives can be positioned at her eye height.
SWMBO sees the H frame drawing and determines (magically without any reference to scale or doimensions) that it will be too tall. I try to point out that, it will be as tall as she wants it but no taller. She remains firm. So until I present her with a drawing which shows the TV without the doors or sides projecting either side of the TV, she is adamant that the unit is too tall.
I give up and concede defeat.
I then say, "How high from the ground do you want the top of the TV?" That was a mistake.
I get a very long story, with references to the mattress, bed, rails and padding. None of which answers my question. I repeat the question and get the same story, this time with the details in a different order
As Mr Smith of the TV show Lost in Space was fond of saying "The pain... the pain."-
At least I havn't bought the corkboard in anticipation.
Mekon
You might consider putting together a full-size model of the piece using masking tape and poster board, illustration board or something similar. It would help those with different visualization skills. (I've even used cut up cardboard boxes.)
Merry Christmas!
Jack Flatley Jacksonville, Florida
--
One consolation about memory loss in old age is that
you also forget a lot of things you didn't intend to

CW wrote: "...the new big screen TV I bought her for Christmas..."
Yeah, and I bought my wife a router...;+}
-Jim
Did that when building a cabinet for a built in warming drawer under a built in oven with a built in microwave oven on top. My wife was concerned that the microwave would be too tall for her height. Made a cardboard front and measured and drew out each appliance with the required spacing between each item to obtain her approval. Worked out well, she is happy.
Another story, in redecorating my grown son's room, she wanted a crown moulding. The problem was the closet casing went from the floor to within 1 1/2" of the ceiling which meant that the crown moulding would have to be terminated on each side. To get an idea of how close I should run the crown moulding, I cut and terminated with a 45 degree wrap back to the wall to a length of moulding. I then set up some poles to help support it and called her in for approval while I held it up. Where I was standing in the middle of a 16 foot length I could not see how close it ended up. I thought it was a little long, and it would be easy to trim. She looked at it and said it looked great, go ahead with it. After I nailed it up and was taking a rest she went in the room and complained it was too close. She did not understand that she had approved it in that location but was just looking to see if the crown moulding looked good......... considering this was the second room, we knew it looked good. Rather than destroy 16 feet of crown moulding in trying to remove it, we just matched the other side of the closet the same way, and it is still there.

I've done the same with MDF...
Patriarch

I go though lots of MDF in anticipation. <G>
I go through a lot of pine making samples that are rejected. The worst was the drawer fronts for the bed. She approved one of 4 different designs and then complained afterwards that they were "too plain"
Allen

B A R R Y wrote:

Gatorboard and hotmelt are my friends.

What's "gatorboard"?