We we make samples

I'm almost done with a Mission sideboard for my dining room. I made a sample door panel to practice inlaying and show my wife inlays made of QSWO (like the door), cherry. and maple, and give her the final choice. The practice inlays came out GREAT! I sanded the panel, spray bombed it with shellac & lacquer to get a better finished effect, let it dry, and brought it to her.

Her: "What are those?" Me: "Inlays, just like the Stickley sideboard you like" Her: "I really like the door better without them"

So, I'll have three chamfered panels, and no inlay...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Your whipped. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Funny how that goes, isn't it? Spend a lot of time with a "feature" added to something and then get the, "I really liked it better plain" comment. It does save time on the real thing though. [Not that anything like that has ever happened to me, I've only heard about it ;-) ]

Mark & Juanita

I feel your pain.

I find SWMBO doesn't visualise well, so despite describing in detail what is to be done, unless I can do a drawing Rembrant would have been happy with, she can't see it, until I've made it and then she decides she doesn't like it that way, and "Wouldn't it be easier if I left those bits off?"

E.G. SWMBO's mother recently had a stroke, now without getting too far into the debate of what I can do for my dog that I can't do for her, her life is pretty damned dismal. She will never, walk, sit or even eat again.

She can't see her TV in two of the three positions she spends each and every hour in, so I say "I'll build her a trolley that the staff can wheel around to match her position." So far so good.

I propose an H shaped arrangement with a double bar in the middle between which is the DVD player. The TV fits into the space above the top bar and corkboard covered doors close in front so pix of friends and relatives can be positioned at her eye height.

SWMBO sees the H frame drawing and determines (magically without any reference to scale or doimensions) that it will be too tall. I try to point out that, it will be as tall as she wants it but no taller. She remains firm. So until I present her with a drawing which shows the TV without the doors or sides projecting either side of the TV, she is adamant that the unit is too tall.

I give up and concede defeat.

I then say, "How high from the ground do you want the top of the TV?" That was a mistake.

I get a very long story, with references to the mattress, bed, rails and padding. None of which answers my question. I repeat the question and get the same story, this time with the details in a different order

As Mr Smith of the TV show Lost in Space was fond of saying "The pain... the pain."-

At least I havn't bought the corkboard in anticipation.

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

You might consider putting together a full-size model of the piece using masking tape and poster board, illustration board or something similar. It would help those with different visualization skills. (I've even used cut up cardboard boxes.)

Merry Christmas!

Jack Flatley Jacksonville, Florida

Reply to
John Flatley

Did that when building a cabinet for a built in warming drawer under a built in oven with a built in microwave oven on top. My wife was concerned that the microwave would be too tall for her height. Made a cardboard front and measured and drew out each appliance with the required spacing between each item to obtain her approval. Worked out well, she is happy.

Another story, in redecorating my grown son's room, she wanted a crown moulding. The problem was the closet casing went from the floor to within 1

Reply to
EXT

I go though lots of MDF in anticipation.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I go through a lot of pine making samples that are rejected. The worst was the drawer fronts for the bed. She approved one of 4 different designs and then complained afterwards that they were "too plain"

Reply to
Allen Roy

"John Flatley" wrote in news:g9GdnTvNAJLUJxPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I've done the same with MDF...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Gatorboard and hotmelt are my friends.

Reply to
Robatoy

CW wrote: "...the new big screen TV I bought her for Christmas..."

Yeah, and I bought my wife a router...;+}

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

What's "gatorboard"?