Way OT question for Aussie Wreckers

I know there are a few Aussies who check in from time to time. I was wondering if any of them are involved with or aware of the Tool & Die trade in Australia. I am thinking of relocating, since the jobs here in the States are growing few and far between. I was in Sydney with my wife a few years ago and we both fell in love with the country. Although I'm employed here, we would move there in a heartbeat if I could line up a job.
So, Aussies, any future in the Tool & Die industry down under???
Many thanks in advance,                      Mark L.

I don't know specifically about your trade, Mark, but here's some sites:
www.seek.com.au www.careerone.com.au
You would be wise to search under engineering, fitting & turning and related trades etc as well.
Sydney is ok, but its population is 4million or so and a difficult place to get around. Melbourne is slightly smaller and a much nicer place to live, Brisbane smaller but growing (but hotter, wetter and more humid). Adelaide is in steep decline, Perth is static and a hell of a long way from anywhere else, and Hobart is a fantastic place to live and work unless you like extreme summer heat.
There are regional cities as well, but they seem to be the first to suffer from any recession.
-- Conehead
Thanks for the sites, I kind of thought the trades down under may go by different names.
conehead wrote:

And I'm looking to retire in either Oz or NZ. I'll just have the required income of A$45,000. What kind of housing in my range (say A$100,000 +/-) is available in the areas around Darwin? How about medical care (I'm okay now but who knows what'll happen later)? And what about the fishing? And the local ladies??
Agkistrodon

You need to do a quick weblookup on immigration to Australia, there are some professions which can get a bit of fast tracking but I doubt that yours would qualify. Also your age - I cant remember what the maximum is now but I know its not unlimited - somewhere around the 40 mark rings a bell.
Just like the States a lot of the engineering skills are heading off to SE Asia - it still amazes me that we can get some parts quicker from Korea, Japan, China or Taiwan than they can be made in Australia. But there are still the traditional engineering workshops that service the large mining areas of QLD, NT and WA - all well away from Sydney.
In the coming months there is quite likely to be a glut of unemployed engineering people as Mitsubishi Motors is closing its Adelaide plant and it out sources most of its component parts from Melbourne and Sydney. The component industry is going to have to take yet another cold shower.
--
http://cgi6.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=bribieisland4x4hire&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

I have seen some of the qualifying tests for immigration. I always seem just a few points short. But that was a year ago, maybe it's different now. As for age, I'm a couple over 40 :-( But it's worth a try again.
Roger Martin wrote:

Swanriver Furniture The Nannup Furniture Gallery Support local small business~ save a species today~ ME! snipped-for-privacy@swanriverfurniture.com.au www.swanriverfurniture.com.au
Cant help you with the industry - or the entry requirements really , other than if your occupation is being sought after here- how much loot you have - how old you are and stuff like that . Mind you a lot of Asians dont seem to have a problem.
Also remember that Sydney is a city of 4 million - expensive and almost collapsing under its own weight. And fortunately is way over on the other side of the country where it belongs
Brisbane is in Queensland - which is also a good thing because it is full of Queenslanders and also a long way away. Sticky hot Humid and full of retired Kiwis.
Melbourne is one of the great cities of the world for all the right reasons. Although still Eastern States.
Adelaide again is one of the nice small cities of the world - although a small state economy hinders growth.
Hobart is in Tasmania - a place that fell off the rest of Australia and nobody noticed.
Perth in Western Australia is a dynamic, modern city of around 1.2 mil. In a State with a growing economy that keeps the rest of Australia afloat with our massive mineral and mining, natural gas and oil industries as well as wine, wheat and agriculture. Housing is still very affordable - less than half the cost of Sydney.The quality of life here is unsurpassed as is the climate. I have lived in all the other places and they are best left where they are.
Having a huge mining industry may offer some opportunities to your trade - also there is growing boat building industry ( even to the point of building ships for the US military)
Apart from that there a multitude of regional towns and cities that are worth a look in.
I would suggest though that you check out each state Government site i.e. www.wa.gov.au and see what the relevant criteria might be pertaining to your trade.
Good Luck
Phil

Phil Laird wrote:
[snip]
Perth in Western Australia is a dynamic, modern city of around 1.2 mil. In a

I'd heard that you can't buy a decent pint in West Oz. True?     j4
Thanks, Phil. You're right about Melbourne being a great city. Wife and I were in both Sydney and Melbourne, just a few days in each. Sounds as if you really like Perth, I'd love to check it out one day.