Way OT electrical question

Page 3 of 3

The really simplest and accurate answer is to simply shut the machinery down as prescribed for an electrical billing period and compare that bill to a same length period of not shutting the machinery down.

This is a USENET newsgroup. We don't want simple answers. We can stand simple answers. Please, don't confuse us with facts.
wrote in message

Umm,, sorry. I'll try to make it more complicated next time. LOL

That's not very complex, whatever the two "simple" statements mean. That is by far the most accurate way to asses it, including comparing the numbers to last year's same period to see if usage is remaining constant for the time of year involved.
Twayne
Leon wrote:

The only problem with that is if other conditions vary between billing cycles (temperature, lighting needs, etc.). Those other conditions can skew the results and lead to very erroneous conclusions. Since the savings on this may be very subtle, those confounding conditions may swamp out the real results.

I can see that but in a factory production setting I doubt that lighting would be different and there may be no air conditioning but if you take ajasent billing periods you may not have much deviation at all on temperature.
Leon wrote:

Change the experiment parameters every other day. That mitigates the seasonal things like HVAC. Simple enough on our residential meters here in AZ.
Lumpy
You were the "OPERATION" game voice? Yes. Take out wrenched ankle.
www.LumpyVoice.com

Punch presses have large fly wheels that require significant amounts of energy to get them up to speed. Once at speed they require very little power to keep them running. It's quite common for these presses to be left running during breaks and lunch as a means of reducing the electrical power that is required to run them. In fact, the fly wheels of the larger ones are likely to still be turning after being powered off and left for a half hour period. Starting one and bringing it up to speed requires much more power than running it at speed for several hours. Long ago this fact was realized, and this is why they are left running as a common practice.
Charley
mark wrote:

while they're working ;-)

spamverizon.net"> wrote:

Naah, it gets mustard in the punch presses. Corrosive, you know.
--
Regards,