Waterlox vs. Parks Tung Oil

We have some old clear redwood that was finished 30 plus years ago with Parks brand Tung Oil. It is dry and I would like to rejuvenate it, but I am not looking for a high gloss finish, just a light shine.

I have never used the Parks product, but we still have a very old can of it around. My husband did the original finish in the living room with Parks.

My expereience has been using Waterlox and I am comfortable using it. I have their Satin finish available.

Could anyone give me a rundown of both these products, and also advise if using the old can of Parks is a good idea? I assume I will have to strain it and possibly add thinner to it.

Thank you.

Reply to
Pacific Pintos

First of all, not having used Parks I really can't comment on it. But, before you decide to do something like this, have you considered that maybe the dull, dry appearance may be due to a build-up of household airborne contaminates? Things such as cooking and smoking can build up a film on a surface over time and thirty years is a long time. Also the application of furniture polish will build up a dulling film. Therefore, it may be worthwhile to try cleaning a small portion of the surface using a rag dampened with varsol or turps to see if the dull film is removable and the original surface appearance returns.

Gil

Reply to
Gil

Tung has a short shelf life once it's exposed to air. Hope it's not gelled.

Reply to
Father Haskell

30 year old can of finish? Forget it. I'd surely use the Waterlox. Their satin is my favorite finish, too.

-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod

Reply to
Larry Jaques