Water Resistant Finsh for Shower Shelf?

I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for commercially, so I would like to build a wood corner shelf for our large walk-in shower to hold shampoo bottles, soap, etc.

I'll probably build it out of redwood or cedar scraps I have on hand, but I'm curious what finish would be best to make it as water resistant as possible?

It really won't see significant water exposure where it will be located. Just occasional overspray and drips from shampoo bottles and whatnot. Obviously, it needs to be easy to clean too.

Would oil based poly be adequate, or is there another finish that would be better suited to the task?

Thanks,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

A marine varnish.

Reply to
DarylRos

Spar varnish - it works for boats.

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

Anthony, There's marine varnish available at most home centers. It held up well for 6 years on my sail boat.

Reply to
Jana

I would probably use a Spar Varnish which is made for outdoor aplications such as front doors. Or use a marine varnish.

I know you said redwood or cedar, both good for water resistance, but you could go with Teak and not finish it at all!

Reply to
Bill Wallace