watco danish oil fruitwood on maple

Watco Danish oil fruitwood, according to there website maple tends to blotch, I've never done a Danish oil finish before, is there an easy way to keep this from happinging? I'm looking for a dark even reddish finish should I use a sanding sealer like DEFT Lacquer sanding sealer? Most stuff I've done used Minwax stain and poly or watco wax, would I be better off using stain and then lacquer?

anythoughts

Reply to
Richard Clements

I've stained soft maple with a water based stain and had good luck with it. You will get a little raising of the grain, but it's easy to cope with.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Why are you using maple if you want it dark red?

Reply to
toller

Maple will tend to blotch, even hard maple. I am working a small project right now that has some maple. I treated with MinWax pre-stain conditioner and still got a little bit of unevenness in a spot. I recommend a thorough treatment with a pre-stain conditioner or mineral spirits before staining.

Curious - what are you building from maple that is going to be that dark (even more critical for blotching)? Could you get by with Birch at less cost - but probably more blotching?

Reply to
RonB