warped cedar gate

Final stages of completing my gate (thanks for the help along the way guys). Turns out I have one corner that has warped during the construction, ie. it is high compared to the remaining face. Currenty finished in 2 coats of pigmented deck stain.

Anyway to flatten without impacting finish and rest of gate?

Chris

Reply to
cc

I can't exactly envision how it is warped but it may be possible to add a permanent cable brace diagionally with a turnbuckel to pull it into flat.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Right there with you.

Hey, how deep does the latch post need to be in albuquerque when surrounded by some of the hardest things I've ever dug through?

-- Uno

Reply to
frank

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:13:03 -0700 (PDT), frank wrote the following:

I think he meant warped face, as in the gate, if placed "flat" on the ground, had a high corner.

30-36", with cement. And do not disturb areas outside the basic hole. I'm told that even caliche still gets loose when wet. (mud)

-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"cc" wrote

Not much hope I guess, but consider aligning the gate posts to match?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Yep, un-dried wood does that.

The only fix I've ever had success with is to replace the picket with another (that hopefully won't warp when it dries).

As an aside, store your fence pickets - with adequate ventilation - for a month or more in the garage and return to your supplier those that have warped.

Reply to
HeyBub

Been there done that, that will tpyically bow the gate especially if there needs to be much tension to square the set up.

Reply to
Leon

Have you seen my comment to use a gate kit to use steel angle irons to hold the 2x4 frame and then add the pickets after the gate frame is swinging on the post?

Reply to
Leon