Walnut sources

SWMBO bought a nice pottery vase in Peru and has asked that it be converted to a table lamp. So I am looking for some walnut for base and top. Two pieces 1 3/4" x 8" x 8" ought to do it.
I'm having a hard time finding a source here in the Hudson Valley 50 mi north of NYC.
In fact it's pretty much the same for anything other than the junk at the home supply stores.
I'm leary of buying sight-unseen. Advice?
Many thanks.
i could ship you some. have some 4/4 10/4 & 16/4. can send pics ross www.highislandexport.com

There is always ebay, usually there's a picture of the exact piece you're buying.
-Leuf
There are plenty of hardwood lumberyards in that area and in the Berkshires. Just run through the yellow pages. A place a little further south of you, in Peekskill, named Dain's should have what you're looking for though you might have to buy an entire 6 or 8 foot board as they don't keep a cutoff bin. It would be a shame to have some nice walnut in the shop for other projects.
Places that sell trophies might also have some small walnut blanks for sale.
J.
Gene wrote:

Gene wrote:

And yet again many thanks for the leads! Gene