That additive to flower vase water

I've just bought a large bunch of flowers to celebrate my (late) wife's birthday, enough for two vases. But I forgot to divide the little sachet of jollop that they give you to feed the flowers and prolong their life. So one vase got all of it, the other, none.

OOI, what do they put in those little sachets?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Allegedly bleach, presumably fairly dilute. The Internet can probably be more helpful.

Reply to
Joe

Maybe try uk.rec.gardening

Reply to
nothanks

plant food.....

One trick for home use is to use tepid water and to put some sugar in to extend the life of the flowers.

Reply to
SH

I usually try to find out by looking at the MSDS, but I couldn't find an informative one for Chrysal.

You might find this of use:

Jeff Layman

mostly sugar and citric acid

don't have cut flowers often but my DIY mix is

500ml water 15g sugar 10ml white vinegar or lemon juice or citric acid depending on what's on hand

Might add a few drops of bleach to stop the water going green if it won't be changed often but mostly don't bother

Reply to
Robin

Er.... can't you just tip all the water from the vases into a big container, mix it up and divide it back into the vases again?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Soluble Aspirin is often a DIY additive.

Reply to
alan_m

Or half empty the vase that didn't get any.....

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ah, that's the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Oh certainly I could, but doing what I did leads me to the idea that it will be interesting so see what difference it will make, one vase versus the other. Will the one vase last a lot longer than the other, and if so, how much longer?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

very true. I'm patently not a high-performance mixers

Reply to
Robin

+1
Reply to
fred

Ah but. Is the bunch of flowers a monoculture? Or is it a mix? Some types of flower will last longer than others because it's in their nature.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet