OT - SpaceX's Starship due to launch 1.00 pm today (Saturday)

Watch live on Everyday Astronaut's channel on youtube.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

It's gone bang - and then bang again.

Reply to
PeterC

All 33 Raptor 2.0 engines on the booster performed flawlessly.

Stage separation took place perfectly.

The booster performed its return-to-base manoeuvre but then blew up.

The starship (upper stage) continued on all of its 6 engines on track and reached 24,000 km/hr (orbital speed is 28,000) and shut down its engines and then blew up.

The launch pad seems to be undamaged meaning they can go again soon.

Most people (including me) think the test was a huge success.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I'm glad to see you use the normal human terminology of 'blew up' rather than the horrid 'unscheduled disassembly'.

Reply to
Davey

The people at the launch centre used "rapid unscheduled disassembly", Americans have become insufferable since they discovered long words.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Or, more often, invented them.

'Burglarized', indeed. 'Administrated'.

Reply to
Joe

"Dubya" was good at them - he used to invent them on the fly in mid-speech. Sadly, the Oxford dictionary now includes many American words, which is making crossword and similar puzzles nearly impossible to complete.

Reply to
Bob Henson

'Coronated' is also a popular one.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I once heard "Compositionize" on an interview with a USian/

Reply to
charles

But it was used very tongue in cheek.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

'tis a technical term in rocketry, m'lud, dating from the 60s:

See also 'lithobraking'.

Theo

Reply to
Theo