Walnut Crotch

I have a black walnut crotch from a tree that was cut down just over a year ago. I'm guessing some here, but its about 4 feet tall and around 30 inches at the top of the y. It has spent most of the last year under a tarp. Any idea what something like this is worth? Or who to talk to about selling it? I'm located in Eastern CT. Thanks!
Tom

Sorry, Tom. Black walnut isn't really good for much of anything. Your best bet is to just throw it out. I tell you what, though. I'm going to be in CT next month. I'd drop by with a trailer and dispose of it for you. That's just the kind of nice guy that I am.
todd

probably worthless.

Amen.
It might be worth something to someone that had the capability to saw it into usable material. But without the proper care (the high tech tarp cover isn't) it is probably just a log of firewood.
If you feel like your crotch is a real treasure (did anyone else hear that rimshot?) you should cut it into bowl blanks yourself, seal them, then sell them on ebay.
Robert

For some claro walnut comparisons, check out baker hardwoods website.
scott
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in writes:

That isn't fair. Nobody has the good stuff quite like Baker. You KNOW it's been well cared for.
Patriarch
You might put it on the rec.crafts.woodturning group and see if anyone wants it. Crotch wood, even with some defects is amazing for bowls and trays.
Old Guy