Wall sconce, determine safe wattage

Looking in building several identical sconces as I finish my basement. I bought the craft plan:
http://woodstore.woodmall.com/arwalscon.html
I normally would design my own, but was somewhat stumped as to how the socket and sconce was mounted.
Anyway, I still may design my own, but I'm wondering how to determine what a safe wattage for the bulb would be? In the above plans, they call for a 25W bulb. Really more decorative than light emitting. I would like to make a sconce that could go up to, say, 65W.
How do I determine design, space between bulb and sconce? Note, the sconces will be on a dimmer.
Use the porcelain sockets that are available and keep most of the area around the socket open so you'll get convection up and out the vent holes in the top. That will handle a lot of heat. But also consider fluorescent bulbs. Some are quite powerful now and the heat is negligible. Remember, this thing is decorative anyway. With that colored lens you aren't going to get real illumination. Wilson