Problem finding Wall Sconce replacement locknut

Greetings,

I need a new glass shade and locknut for a living room wall sconce. I do not know the name brand but I have attached a photo of the locknut. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get one or what name brand this may be? If it is of help the fixture uses a g9 bulb and probably came from Home Depot. (Which cannot provide any help in-store when presented with the sample locknut and doesn't carry any fitting shades).

Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

william.deans

A real hardware store should be able to assist with that. There are the drawers of "normal" nuts, bolts, etc., and then there are the drawers of miscellaneous stuff that makes you think you've died and gone to heaven because they actually have what you need.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Lamp parts are typically pipe thread sizes, a relic from the original fixtures that were converted gas lights. That looks like a 1/4" NPT locknut (about 1/2") These days that sometimes gets pretty sloppy because of manufacturing tolerances or it gets rounded off to a metric size that is close.

Reply to
gfretwell

*The locknut can probably be found at a lamp shop or lighting store. I think Lowes and Home Dept carry a small selection of parts as well. A fix-it shop may have something. One place I used to go in NJ when I couldn't find it anywhere else would just pull out small boxes of parts and dump them on the counter. I always found what I was looking for there. I heard that they are closed now :-(

As for the glass shade; unless you have the manufacturers name you are SOL. There are so many lighting manufacturers out there it wouldn't be humanly possible to find every catalog and try and match it up. Home Depot sometimes buys up lots and once they are gone that is the end of them. It may just be easier to replace the fixture.

Reply to
John Grabowski

on 9/16/2009 10:58 AM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote the following:

Get new sconces. Those are from the 60s and are really out of style.

Reply to
willshak

OMG, I remember those being in the doctor's office when I was a kid. Fortunately this means they probably aren't made with metric hardware. Parts should be findable at a local lamp shop and most hardware stores carry the parts. You could also salvage something off an old lamp picked up at Goodwill.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE