Garage Exterior Wall Sconce

I plan to install sconce lighting on each side of my garage door. I've read the mounting height should be about 72" then elsewhere between 8 and 9 feet. I'm sure I can eye it and draw my own conclusion but I thought I'd ask. Any input to the actual height or a formula for floor to ceiling ratio? When confirming such height, is that the bottom of the lighting, the top, the junction box, etc? I've yet to see confirmation on any of that.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

I'd say unless it's an unusually high door or something else unusual, then what looks good aesthetically works for me. Erring on the side of higher is probably better, as the light will go a bit further.

Reply to
trader_4

Also consider the ease of replacing bulbs. Some fixture may require a step stool or ladder if the homeowner is short and the fixture is high and has a peculiar access for its bulbs.

Reply to
Smarty

Have a helper hold the fixture where you think it may be best. Step back 20 to 40 feet and have them move it up and down. Have them stop where it looks best to you.

Once you have what looks good, be sure nothing is going to interfere or hit it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If this is a masonry garage, bear in mind that the lentil will extend across at least 8" from the opening and in Florida style construction there will be a solid tie beam all the way around the perimeter and the door jam will be poured solid (8"). Punching the hole for the wire and box may dictate where the box goes.

Reply to
gfretwell

Agreed with the interference. Considering I'm drilling through cinder blocks, I want to ensure it's right the first time.

Reply to
Meanie

I would suggest probing with a long small bit (like a 1/4"x12") just to see what you have in there and if you figure out you are in a hollow cell, use a diamond wheel on a grinder to cut the box in and a bigger masonry bit to get the cable in from the other side. You may even want to fish it down from the top on the inside (as high as you get before hitting a cell poured solid) Get the wire in before you actually set the box. If you do run into a solid wall where you want it, a pancake box will usually work with most lights.

Reply to
gfretwell