Garage door rails

I have a tall garage yet the rails are that standard height, a few inches above doors which are around 7 feet or so. I have probably a good 4 feet of space above the rails to the ceiling. My question is, can the rails & motor be raised to close ceiling height? or is this some requirement that rails be a couple inches above the door?

the extra wall space would come in handy.

thanks for any help on this! shawn

Reply to
shawn
:

High Lift doors are available. They will probably be considered Commercial when purchasing and will likely cost more. I can't remember if there was a price difference or not, but nowadays I'd expect one.

The door is essentially the same, however the tracks will go higher before truning back. A lot of commercial doors go virtually straight up and do not turn back at all. definitely can be done though.

In order to change to a taller track, you'll find that other things will need to be changed also, such as the torsion springs, and if I remember correctly, the rollers are different too.

Good luck. We all need the extra wall space..............LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

The rails that the garage door's wheels ride on can go higher, but I suspect that the reason they are in the position they are in is due to the home type electric garage door opener's door connector having to be close to the opener's chain/screw actuater rail. I don't install garage doors, so I don't know if there are other door openers that can be mounted further up on the wall. Perhaps a commercial unit?

Reply to
willshak

You would have to extend your vertical track, replace your drums with high-lift drums, change your springs and replace your cables. These items would be reconfigured depending upon the amount of extra lift you are going to have. If your door is currently motor operated, you will have to get rid of your existing "draw bar" operator and replace it with a "jackshaft" operator. The rest of your hardware will not be changed. I could tell you the length of the cable and drums you will need and your springs new specs. Email me the specs of your existing springs, the weight of your door and the amount of high lift you are going to add.

Reply to
Rich

I had a similar dilemma. It bothered me to see the space above the door basically sitting unused. I ended up putting beams between the walls above the door, covering it with plywood and leaving a 32" hatch for acess. Nice little storage space for those seasonal items.

Ray

Reply to
Ray