Waiting for my blades to dull

...So that I can try the "ScarySharp" method. As a newbie in the WW field, I have been lurking the wreck for a bit. I would like to commend you guys on having one of the best unmoderated ng's on the NNTP(may she always stay that way)!
That being said, I am in quite possibly the worst position I could possibly find: Stationed in(on?) Okinawa, I have no real choice in most of the purchases I make. It must be the Japanese stuff or nothing. As the term "stationed" implies, I am in the Military, so cost is definitely a factor, and having heavy tools shipped over is cost prohibitive. What I would like to find out is this: Are there any good references for maintaining "crap"? Websites, books, how-to's, etc? Something to take the beginner on a journey through the basics. I have gathered enough info to true up my TS, and found the "Scary sharp" article, but most everything else is outside my current knowledge. I am one of the few in my generation(35yo) to know that "Ignorance" is not a bad word, just a lack of knowledge, but "a man's got to know his limitations". Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks
BTW, had an opportunity to be "stuck" in Honolulu last week, and found out what that whole "Woodcraft" thing was all about! That store just floored me! I will definitely retire in a place where a good tool shop is located!

My prediction is that you'll love it. Easy and inexpensive to get into it and excellent results.

I spent a little time on Okinawa over 40 yr ago (Camp Haig, USMC 3rdDiv FMF) while it was still under US occupation. Understand it has since been returned to the Japanese.

-snip
As I understand it, Japanese woodworking hand tools have an excellent reputation stateside. Maybe you are referring to something else?

Go to amazon.com, search "Books" with keyword "Woodworking". Just got 5664 hits. Can't narrow it down too much from there without knowing more about your particular interests. But you can browse the list and see what strikes your fancy. I will recommend the Tage Frid book. Doesn't matter whether you are a Neander or a Normite, there's something in there for you.
A website that you will probably enjoy is Jeff Gorman's site at     http://www.amgron.clara.net /
You might could glean some info from     http://sawdustmaking.com /
And I'm sure that other folks have a lot more they will be sharing with you.

You're welcome.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

and excellent results.

possibly
FMF) while it was still under US occupation. Understand it

reputation stateside. Maybe you are referring to something

i almost responded myself earlier. i thought so too. cant say firsthand for chisels, but ive got a japanese knife in my kitchen and its great. holds an edge well and feels good in the hand.
randy
xrongor wrote:

I find myself wondering if the Japanese have consumer-crap for their home market that is similar to the American consumer-crap that is available in the US. If so, it's possible that Sysiphus has gotten hold of consumer-crap instead of top-quality.

--
--John

You know, that thought didn't occur to me. You think maybe Sysiphus is shopping at Yokohama Freight, maybe. Or possibly Sears of Nippon?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Secong the first two books by Tage but the third was a MAJOR disappointment for me.

The one(s) I had in mind was the two volume set on woodworking technique. I see there's another one on furniture making. Is that the one you were referencing? What did you find disappointing?
No "challenge" implied, I'm just not familiar with that book and would probably have bought it simply because the technique book was so good.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
We're in lockstep on the first two books, I didn't find the third stimulating at all. Maybe another time,...?

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:36:04 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net"

I know what you mean. It's a useful book if you want a workbench design, or if you want to know more than you believed possible about expanding table mechanisms. Other than that, a bit of a disappointment.
--
Smert' spamionam

My apologies....perhaps I provided too little info. Okinawa is not Japan, at least not in a craftsman's perspective. There is (apparently) no publicly accessible master/apprentice handcrafting going on here AFAICT.
My TS is a "Hometool", all instructions in Kanji, plastic/aluminum type. Chisels appear to be quite cheap(think "Damascus tinfoil") Didn't buy those, picked up a set of Crapsman at the PX. Picked up decent Dozuki/Ryoba, I think. Gonna mail-order/ebay the planes, and if I ever decide to build a guitar, Grizzly seems to be the place to go!

<snippage>
You might really enjoy talking with this fellow...
http://www.champagnesfurniture.com /
What Arnold did/does in military retirement was start a whole new career, woodworking and teaching woodworking, in a straight forward, no BS style, in short two and three day sessions, in and around San Francisco. Very affordable classes, and accessible skills. You won't need to drop $10k to get started making some great stuff.
I'm going to try to schedule myself into a class making and using handcut veneer.
Patriarch
You are in a great position to buy some of the world's best hand tools. Chisels, saws, marking knives and sharpening stones are just a few of the options.
Try starting another thread called "Japanese tools to buy?", and explaining your situation. You may be surprised how many guys would like to be where you are.
--
Greg

"Sysiphus" wrote in message ...
OT. i was in Oki in 62-64. Didn't know we had any bases there anymore. Was at Naha AFB. What bases are still open? I loved it there.
Sysiphus wrote:

Rick Samuel thought it a good use of my time to say:

Naha AFB non-existant......kadena AB, and a buncha marine bases
I have nothing to offer about Japanese tools. I just wanted to say thank you for serving and stay safe... Mark L. Sysiphus wrote:

Mark thought it a good use of my time to say:

You're welcome........and thank you