Wainscotting, plywood, and sheetrock

When you are starting from framed walls and you plan on using some kind of wainscoting, how would you seal the joint between the sheetrock above and the plywood below?

Thanks, Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

Chair rail? Tom

Reply to
tom

I would cover the entire wall with sheetrock. Then, I would apply wainscotting. Finally, I would cover the edge of the wainscotting with stair rail. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Put the drywall on first, then put the wainscoting on top of the drywall.

Reply to
Swingman

to be more precise, drywall the whole wall, all of the way to the floor. then install the wainscot. and as Tom said, chair rail is a good way to trim the top of the wainscot

Reply to
bridgerfafc

And if the wainscot is going to be say T&G bead board, run nailers between the studs at the top and middle of where you are installing the wainscot. Then drywall and you have something on which to nail it.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Thank you for your collective advice. I've been doing more reading than doing along the lines of trim work and it seems that when it came down to doing it . . . I ended up with a few more questions than I started with.

For five years I've been staring at these basement walls waiting until the money and time both came together at the same time to do the build out. The beer has been set aside and replaced with a saw, hammer, and a trusty measuring tape.

Thanks again, Patrick

I'll post some pictures when there is something to show. As of now, I'm pretty proud of the work being my first.

Reply to
Patrick