Video of Shop Made Sacrificial Fence Clamps

bucks in parts, plus scraps, and an hour in the shop save you 15 bucks from Rockler.

Pics to follow.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Cheap, quick and slick. I need to figure out a way to make something like that work with my Unifence. The odd shape makes attaching to it problematic

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Those things are so high and thin at the top, that you could probably just use regular clamps to hold a sheet against it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The problem is that they are also coved in. There is a thin lip, but it is thin enough that anchoring a clamp on it doesn't always work well.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

=A0"I need to figure out a way to make something like that work with my Unifence." Rob Leatham

I made one using a block of wood and two cheap pistol grip clamps ($

0.99 @ HFT). The next size up clamp might prove better for the (larger/ thicker) Uni-Fence. I like the PG Clamps as they aoffer a "quick release" button that, combined with the pistol grip clamping action, makes attaching and adjusting the SF a snap - as opposed to using "wing nuts" and the like.

From what I can see of the video,the OP is taking a similar approach but using a "bolt-on clamp" to hold the SF to the blade side of the fence in the same manner my modified Pistol Grip Clamps employ (rod on clamp that slips into quarter-inch hole drilled into SF block).

I'm on Dialup so YOU TUBE is impossibly slow. I have some pictures if anyone is interested - send me an e-mail. If anyone can tell me where to upload them for this group, I will try that.

My approach requites fixing a quarter-inch steel rod/dowel to the end of the bar clamp after removng the "factory" end. Then, you slip the dowel end into the SF and the clamp over the saw fence and clamp in place. So simple a cave man could do it.

link, above, may work. Lemme know

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

"I need to figure out a way to make something like that work with my Unifence." Rob Leatham

----------------------------------------- Couple of 1/4-20 FH bolts with fender washers and wing nuts (all stainless steel), worked for me on my Unifence.

One fence consisted of 2 pieces of 3/4 (actual size) (13 ply birch), about 8" wide x 36" long glued together.

This oversize fence accepted a T-Track to mount feather boards, etc.

The 2nd piece of 3/4" (13 ply) served as the actual sacrifical fence.

Both were bolted to fence extrusion as req'd.

Why 2 pieces glued together?

Unique to Unifence.

"Low" & "High" fence settings are 1-1/2" apart, thus it is a no-brainer to use Unifence scale directly.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I posted some pics in separate thread.

> The link, above, may work. Lemme know

Yet another reason for me to buy a welder. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

That's some pretty slick thinking there, Mike. Thank you for sharing that with us.

PS. Cutting those square u-hangers to make l-shapes is going to be solving all kinds of application-problems as hold-downs for my router.

Robatoy

They seem to have gone up in price (what else is new?)...4 bucks seems a little steep.

I thought about getting a long bolt and putting the right angle in by cutting a notch, torching it, and bending, but then 4 bucks didn't seem so bad. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

hey, they're only 2 bucks apiece... and a free mend-plate and some nuts and stuff. NEVER enough stuff.

Reply to
Robatoy

You can never have too many nuts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:39:49 -0600, the infamous -MIKE- scrawled the following:

Works for me! Thanks, Brain.

Um, Brian. You said "bess-a-mer". It's "beece-my-er" unless you're making steel.

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's nice to give thanks to your brain for everything it helps you understand. :-p

Um, Larry. You said, "Brian." It's "Mike," unless you're talking to one of my other personalities. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:30:11 -0600, the infamous -MIKE- scrawled the following:

Details, details.