very Large Shaker boxes???

Hi any shaker box makers here... I was looking at this site http://www.shakerovalbox.com / He has very good info and what I was looking at is the #20 box.. This looks like a challenge!! It takes a piece of wood for the band of the box 14.5 inches wide and 114 inches long. hmmm? Would have to have a large enough trough to boil the band in? Any ideas how this could be taken on?
Chris Pine
www.penartists.com
Ever look at your watch then look away again and you don't know what time it is?!
Y'think anything with that thickness/radius ratio needs steaming?

band
it
Well the principles are the same are they not? The ratio of width and length and thickness are the same whether it is a #0 or a number 20 box? I am not stating I am asking? These are not rocket science ratios by any means but basically they should apply across the board I would think. So yes I think you would need to boil or steam the wood!
--
Chris Pine

www.penartists.com
The guiding principle here is that wood of thinner section will bend around a tighter _radius_ curve without help. The larger box has a larger radius, therefore, no help should be needed if you're still talking 3/16 stock.
I've seen this guy, I think, or perhaps someone else with a similar beard, work, and he uses the luthier's trick of soaking and bending around a hot piece of pipe, though, once again, if you take a thinner piece of wood, it'll bend much tighter without breaking.

How about just crank up your hot tub.
I built a bunch of #4s for christmas presents. Fun projects.
Montyhp

band
it
Now theres an idea!!! Of course if it is walnut that we use might darken the water a little! LOL.
--
Chris Pine

www.penartists.com
it is my understanding that Shakers didn't use heated water, just soaked them in room temp water.
BRuce
Christopher Pine wrote:

--
---