Shaker footstool finishes

Does anyone know what kind of finish(es) were typically applied to original all-wood Shaker footstools? I have just completed two Hancock footstools made from plans in "Shop Drawings of Shaker Furniture and Woodenware Volume III" and I wanted to apply the same original finish. This book does not always mention finishes. The tops are southern yellow pine and the legs were turned from white oak. These footstools do not have fabric tapes. TIA

Reply to
Phisherman

Most shaker furniture was finish with shellacor painted with milk paint. I have a section in my web site on shaker furniture and links for moe information on shakers and furniture.

Randy

randyswoodshoop

have not seen any mention of footstool finishes. Much of my furniture is Shaker replicas I agree that many items were finished with milk paint and/or shellac. Thanks.

Reply to
Phisherman

I do alot of shaker stuff myself.. I have been to both shaker villages in Kentucky. I like there clean lines.

Randy

Reply to
randyswoodshoop

Me too!

I haven't been to Kentucky, but there's a nice Shaker village in MA.

**
**

B A R R Y