Vertical Racks for Hand Planes

Can any one post some links for pictures of Vertically mounted hand plane racks, I would like to hang a board on a french cleat and then have compartments for my planes Sanley 1 through 8 I would then add clifton's and other specialty planes to it,
Thanks in advance
Here's mine:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/plane_storage.jpg
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /

Don't know -- it just seemed more natural that way, and the handle is easier to grasp for use that way. If I put the heel up, most of the handle would be inside the slot and less easy to grasp, especially on smaller planes. (I just reversed a couple and found this to be true).

The slots are 4.5" deep with a 1.25" strip at the bottom to hold the heel of the plane, and the toe rests against the back of the strip. On all the metal planes this arrangement is sufficient to hold the plane very securely at an angle. On the traditional wooden planes I felt more secure with a small wooden tab to hold it in the slot (tab moves up or down to insert the plane). These are visible in the photo if you look closely.
Ken Vaughn
correction -- "toe rests against back of *slot*.
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /

Are you in Cali? We get Earthquakes here so I would have to modify that design. I suppose the tops of each slot would have to have a piece covering the outside and where the heal is, that piece larger too, so lift up the plane, out comes the heal first and remove. But then the slot would have to be taller... sheesh... maybe if I left the "heal keep" the same size, maybe a little higher... could you provide your design notes with measurements please?
Oh yes, really neat design!
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Run a bungee cord across the slots at toe and heel.

No, I live in Colorado and earthquakes didn't enter into my thinking. The metal planes cannot possibly tip forward and out of the slots -- the angle of inclination and weight of the plane prevents this
Measurements:
cabinet is 34" wide, 37" high, and 5" deep including 1/2" ply back slots for planes are 4.5" deep and vary in width from 3.5" for larger planes down to 3" for smaller planes
retaining strip at bottom of each slot is 1.25" by 1/4" pine -- there are small circular cut-outs for the bottom (back) of the tote on some of the smaller plane slot retaining strips which allows the heel to bottom out in the slot
sides and some of the vertical separator strips are 1/2" pine, the thinner vertical strips are 1/4" Baltic Birch ply
top and bottom of cabinet and horizontal supports are 1/2" pine, vertical separator strips fit into dado slots, top and bottom
pretty simple actually and the cabinet only holds bench planes -- all my other planes are in drawers in the cabinet next to my bench, for example:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cork_lined_drawer.jpg
Ken Vaughn

Thanks for the ideas!!
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 02:14:36 +0000, Ken Vaughn wrote:

Pretty good idea making individual slots for each plane. Keeps you from sliding any further down that slippery slope! ;)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

Nah, he's already got one stacked up on top...
-j
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:42:15 -0800, J wrote:

yeah, then I saw his cabinet drawer full. You're right, he's doomed.
Excellent, and much appreciated thanks!
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Ken Vaughn wrote:

That's a nice job there, and this is a good idea. I wonder why I didn't think of this myself? I've been trying to figure out what to do with my growing assortment of iron wonders, and hadn't come up with a worthwhile arrangement... until now. That's an idea well worth ripping off, so thanks to both of you.

Here's mine... Two cupboard doors that open, hung with piano hinge.
<
http://www.balderstone.ca/planecupboard.jpg
I took a class yesterday where I made my own coffin smoothing plane. We were in the intructor's shop at his house, and he had a collection of planes handing vertically from a pegboard wall. He tied a loop of braided cord together, hung it from a hook in the pegboard, and hung the planes by putting the front knob through the string. Maybe not as elegant as some of the other ideas posted, but if you already have pegboard up...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I like that. Very, very clever.
A thought I had with these ideas would be to screw or glue a rare earth magnet in the cabinet near the top of each plane. With a cleat at the base, the magnet would hold the plane nicely. The exception of course would be wood planes. Hmmm...just an idea.
Neil