Verizon DSL

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@myexcel.com wrote:

Are you setting it up for the first time? If so, you just about have to suck it up, find some crap hard drive laying around somewhere, and throw Windows on it to run their CD. You have to set up your username and password to use with the thing. It's all part of the stupid CD. After that, you can throw away Windows. Especially if you're talking to the upstream stuff with a router that lets you put the username and password inside it, so you don't have to screw with PPPoE stuff on the Linux side, which I found to be a royal PITA on Debian and Mandrake. Haven't done Fedora. It's probably no different. I recommend a router highly, just to manage the stupid PPPoE stuff.
snipped-for-privacy@myexcel.com wrote:

No, but I was on hold for only about 5 minutes.

These were WinXP computers. Someone near you should have a laptop that can run the Verizon CD. Gimme a holler on email (remove the obvious) if you can't find anyone, but I'll be tied up until Thuirsday or Friday at the earliest.
-- Mark
If it's the same one Verizon is shipping around my parts, eastern PA, I think the login name is 'admin' and the password is, wait for it, 'password'.
Bill

Joe wrote:

You don't need to worry about it with the new modem/router they're offering.

That's an important point: NEVER install the stuff on the Verizon CD. DO get a router (VZ may give you the router/modem combo thingy (Westell 327 I believe). DO use the VZ supplied cable for the connection between the telephone wall jack and the modem (it's special twisted wire, rather than the flat phone cord). Do try to get the straigthest most direct inside wiring (preferably cat5) from the NID to the modem. DO put filters on all other phone equipment.
See HiEv's pages here for more help: <http://www.alt-hacker.org/~HiEv/vzindex.html
--
Best regards
Han
Tim wrote:

Yeah, I love how my cable provider's answer to everything is to turn off the computer and wait five minutes.

I've never had to worry about making a choice, since I absolutely can't ever get DSL unless I move. I've used it at enough remote locations to have a feel for it though, and I think cable is worth the difference. Verizon DSL is better than dial up when it works well, but cable IME is more than twice as fast, and only half again as expensive.
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:33:47 -0500, Silvan

Hey, at least they aren't telling you to disconnect the cable and run your fingers over the pins to discharge any static that has built up. (No, I'm not kidding, that was DirecWay's Indian tech support answer to just about every call last year).

I am currently using Verizon DSL without any problem, and I am on their $29.99 plan. The price is right, and the speed is good.
Initially I had some wiring problem in my house that prevented me from getting a DSL signal (even with filters installed in all phones). Something to do with the hardwired phone line to the water-supply company was messing thing up. Verizon techician came over (for a fee) and install a DSL splitter box to separate the DSL line from other phone lines, and the problem was fixed for good.
The only "issue" that I have is that Verizon requires me to keep their local phone service in order to use their $29.99 DSL service. This is fair. But this also means that I lose the incentive to replace Verizon local/long distance service with Vonage local/long distance VoIP (voice over IP) basic plan that is really cheap. Not a big deal. I still will be able to call long distance using the VoIP service from SkyPe (that is also really cheap). Now, I just need to get done with my project of rewiring my house for phone/LAN; then I will have time to use the service from SkyPe (too many projects, too little time).
Jay Chan