Verizon DSL

Page 1 of 3
Anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?
Thanks
(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)

Yes, I have been using Verizon DSL since May 2002. It is reasonably fast (not as fast as the cable service I had before I moved) and reliable. My only complaint is that the IP address changes way to frequently, but that is probably not relevant.
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...

If you don't know where you are going ... It pretty much doesn't matter how you get there.
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:50:57 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Where ever you go, there you are.
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:45:01 -0700, Doug Winterburn

How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywheeere at aaaaaaall?
-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ---------- http://diversify.com Poly-free Website Development

and you take yourself with you.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Now there's an interesting topic.
I'm trying to find a Boy Scout camp waaaaaaaay in the middle of nowhere, with nothing more than an extremely crappy map to guide my way. I drive around for over an hour on all kinds of twisty little unpainted back roads, and I still haven't found it.
I know exactly where I am in relation to my point of origin, and I can find my way back home easily. I just don't know where I am in relation to the destination.
So is that lost, or not? I say not. I'm not lost if I know how to get back to a known location. Everybody else tells me I was lost.
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:37:06 -0500, Silvan

Sounds to me like you weren't "lost"; the Boy Scout camp was. ;-)
Silvan wrote:

"Tarzan not lost, Tarzan _here_. Trail lost."
Seriously, if at all times you know where you are and how to retrace your steps you're not lost. Your destination might be lost but that's another story.
Just for hohos, try plugging the address if there is one into Mapquest and see if it can give the directions.

--
--John

... snip

... snip

Mapquest will almost always give directions; however, those directions may not necessarily be of any use. This past summer, I was staying in Huntsville at the airport hotel and requested Mapquest provide directions to a certain destination. Mapquest obliged with a detailed list of "go this far, turn north on ..., go ... etc." I followed the directions, unfortunately Mapquest took me to a point, where, sometime in the future, people may be able to cross over or under the interstate that dead-ended the road I was to follow. I was able to gaze through the fence, across the interstate to the other end of my route but had no way of getting there from the directions I was provided. So, with the exception of approximately 100 yards of road and an overpass, Mapquest provided a detailed route to my destination.
I did find my way to where I was headed, but Mapquest kind of disappointed me.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Same thing with Street Atlas USA. They told me they use the maps provided by various localities, and sometimes these maps include roads that were planned, but never built.
Locally, they show a road connecting two points, but actually you have to drive about 20 miles out of the way, all but three of them on gravel roads, to reach the other side of that imaginary mile-long line.
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:01:50 -0500, Silvan

Yep, I think in my case the cross-over is planned, but it will be sometime when I'm a little-old old person.

Ouch!
So the database derived from maps failed you. Do you think the maps themselves would have done better?
In praise of the postal people, the information they furnished mapquest on the location of the post office bearing our zip code is 35 years old and three and a half miles away.
wrote:

dead-ended
provided
roads,
J. Clarke wrote:

Right. The address. 1 BFE Plaza East. :) Seriously, that place is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the middle of nowhere.

Which is exactly where Boy Scout Camps belong. ;-)
Patriarch Woodbadge '87
patriarch wrote:

:)
The funny thing is they are upgrading the whole camp to have running water and septic systems. The EPA or CDC or some environmental health study people are making them get rid of the latrines.
The even funnier thing is that we, as Cub Scouts (Webelos II, currently) aren't even allowed to camp their by BSA regulation because we are more than 100' from hot showers.
Hot showers.
(Nevermind that we camp there a couple three times a year at BSA-sponsored events.)
(And yes, I had been there before, and I still spent an hour trying to figure out where it was this last time, because there are two camps, and the last several times we have been going to the other one.)
(Ottari vs. Powhattan)

Give me a break. When I was in the Boy Scouts, we cleaned the latrines at summer camp every day with scrub brushes and pine soap. They were a hell of a lot cleaner, odor-free, and hygenic than a lot of gas station bathrooms I've been in. As long as they're not upstream of the water supply, it's a non issue. Where do people think the wild animals in the woods take a crap?
"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Gimme a break ... Bambi, and all those other precious woodland creatures, don't do _that_! That those steaks had hair on them at one time would mortify the hell out of many folks these days.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Here in Hawaii, the state has recommended (posted signs) that hikers not swim in the pools at the bottom of the waterfalls on Oahu because of bacteria from animal crap...

Sounds a lot cleaner than the restrooms in National Forest and State Forest areas here in AZ. I have encountered the "natrural composting" latrines that the enviro-wackos are advocating, and they stink, literally. No thanks.