Veritas or Lie-Nielsen?

I only one one hand plane, a Veritas #4 smooth plane and I LOVE it. I want to buy a block plane and I am either going with:

Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth

OR

Veritas DX60 adjustable mouth block plane

Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Sorry about the link wrap problem.

Lie-Nielsen:

GarageWoodworks

out at a woodworking show), I have one nagging problem with it: it's too friggin' heavy! Normally, "heavy" is a desirable attribute in a hand plane, but I have a lot of block planes, and I use them a LOT, but I just don't like them if they're too heavy. My very favorite block plane is a good old vintage Stanley 60-1/2; it's a dream to use and it's probably the lightest of the bunch. The Lie-Nielsen 60-1/2 is of course a modern day (and much improved) replica of the Stanley, but I'd wager it's quite a bit heavier than the Stanley. I've only just held (and never tried) the Lie-Nielsen so I don't know how heavy it feels in actual USE compared to the Veritas, but I'd be surprised if it didn't feel lighter.

Regarding the Stanley 60-1/2, I think it's the *size* and form-factor that draws me to it perhaps as much as its light weight; I just love how that plane feels! Because of that same form-factor (and in spite of my concerns about their weight), I think you've picked two very good candidates for consideration. As much as I love the design and engineering effort that went into creating the Veritas, I think my personal preference would be to stick with the more traditional design of the Lie-Nielsen.

If you do think the extra heft of these planes would be bothersome, you might try snagging an old Stanley 60-1/2 on eBay. Hell, snag one anyway, even if you DO get one of these other planes; I guarantee you'll find a use for it.

Reply to
Steve Turner

be the deal maker for me. Do they take trade ins? I like my Veritas low angle, but if I peeked at that catalog page the day I get my Christmas bonus, I'd probably click the "buy now" button.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've got the Lie-Nielson and can say it's a very fine tool.

No experience with the Veritas.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

On Thu, 06 May 2010 22:23:38 -0500, Steve Turner wrote the following:

Amen, Bruddah! I keep mine in the truck, and it sports a beefy ol' Ron Hock iron, too. A rusty old nail-finder of a #4 Satanley is in the truck, too, for larger rough work.

I second that. Multitudinally useful.

-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Of course, there's always this one too:

Zz Yzx

I couldn't have said it better. As I was reading the original post I was thinking I still prefer my old Millers Falls 56? (60 1/2 style not sure of the model #) to my Lie-Nielsen. I hate to say this after spending the money, but the Millers Falls is a bit lighter and much nicer in the hand, especially if I am using it for a while. If I had to pick between the two... less is more.

HTH, Jeffo

Reply to
Jeffo