Veritas or Lie-Nielsen?

I only one one hand plane, a Veritas #4 smooth plane and I LOVE it. I want to buy a block plane and I am either going with:
Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php ? sku`_5) OR
Veritas DX60 adjustable mouth block plane (http://www.leevalley.com/US/ wood/page.aspx?pa963&cat=1,41182,48942)
Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?

Sorry about the link wrap problem.
Lie-Nielsen: http://tinyurl.com/5zkheh Veritas: http://tinyurl.com/26m4536
On 5/6/2010 8:46 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

As supremely cool as that Veritas plane is (I don't own one, but I've tried it out at a woodworking show), I have one nagging problem with it: it's too friggin' heavy! Normally, "heavy" is a desirable attribute in a hand plane, but I have a lot of block planes, and I use them a LOT, but I just don't like them if they're too heavy. My very favorite block plane is a good old vintage Stanley 60-1/2; it's a dream to use and it's probably the lightest of the bunch. The Lie-Nielsen 60-1/2 is of course a modern day (and much improved) replica of the Stanley, but I'd wager it's quite a bit heavier than the Stanley. I've only just held (and never tried) the Lie-Nielsen so I don't know how heavy it feels in actual USE compared to the Veritas, but I'd be surprised if it didn't feel lighter.
Regarding the Stanley 60-1/2, I think it's the *size* and form-factor that draws me to it perhaps as much as its light weight; I just love how that plane feels! Because of that same form-factor (and in spite of my concerns about their weight), I think you've picked two very good candidates for consideration. As much as I love the design and engineering effort that went into creating the Veritas, I think my personal preference would be to stick with the more traditional design of the Lie-Nielsen.
If you do think the extra heft of these planes would be bothersome, you might try snagging an old Stanley 60-1/2 on eBay. Hell, snag one anyway, even if you DO get one of these other planes; I guarantee you'll find a use for it.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Amen, Bruddah! I keep mine in the truck, and it sports a beefy ol' Ron Hock iron, too. A rusty old nail-finder of a #4 Satanley is in the truck, too, for larger rough work.

I second that. Multitudinally useful.
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine
On Thu, 06 May 2010 22:23:38 -0500, Steve Turner

I couldn't have said it better. As I was reading the original post I was thinking I still prefer my old Millers Falls 56? (60 1/2 style not sure of the model #) to my Lie-Nielsen. I hate to say this after spending the money, but the Millers Falls is a bit lighter and much nicer in the hand, especially if I am using it for a while. If I had to pick between the two... less is more.
HTH, Jeffo

I think you'd be very happy with either, but that style of the Veritas would be the deal maker for me. Do they take trade ins? I like my Veritas low angle, but if I peeked at that catalog page the day I get my Christmas bonus, I'd probably click the "buy now" button.

I've got the Lie-Nielson and can say it's a very fine tool.
No experience with the Veritas.
-Zz

Of course, there's always this one too:
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Products/+CT-17+Dual+Angle+Block+Plane