Vegetarian woodworking

Page 1 of 2
Anyone out there a vegetarian, or have veggie clients ? Any vegans ? Do you extend vegetarianism to your woodworking too ? How far do you go ? Is beeswax OK ?
I've got an issue going on with hide glue at the moment. Fortunately the client doesn't know what shellac is made from 8-)
-- Smert' spamionam
I don't pretend to understand Vegans, I am just getting the Martians figured out :-)
Actually in the case of shellac, the bugs leave it behind, they are not hurt if we collect it nor would they use it themselves. Does this client have a problem with "Poo Pets" also?
BRuce
Andy Dingley wrote:

--
---

BRuce

Just say that the hide glue is made from toenail trimmings from cow pedicures.
-Jack

Polyurethane glues and varnishes are difficult??? C'mon you can even get them at your local borg.

Can't veneer with polyurethane glue...
And I'll paint the thing yellow before I start using poly varnish !
Tell them to get a life.. Did they walk or drive over to your place? Do they wear synthetic or natural fiber clothes? Do they wear shoes? Do they have electricity in their homes or go to bed at sunset? We can carry this stuff to far. I'd cater to a different customer base if that were me!!!

There are times you just have to walk away...
Sometimes "customer satisfaction" means referring them to a competitor.
<PYTHON> "Why don't you try W.H. Smith"
"I did. They sent me here."
"*DID* they?" </PYTHON>
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
So true.....in the long run, tis better to have a happy non-customer than a less than pleased customer.
--
There is only one period and no underscores in the real email address.

The happy non-customer is *MUCH* less likely to speak ill of you...
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Andy Dingley wrote:

Vegetarian and veggan have to do with what you eat. Are your clients planning on eating your woodwork? Or are your clients weird and don't want to have anything to do with animals including, seeing, touching, or even knowing that have passed this way? How do they stand themselves? Do they french kiss?

A real vegan would have a problem with beeswax as well as shellac. Anything that comes from an animal whether it kills it or not would be no good. Of course the animals that are killed when cutting trees for the wood don't count, but you might not want to bring it up. <g>
-Mike
Mike Pearce wrote:

If that's true I wondered why they don't have a problem with what their "organic" vegetables are grown in.

If we moved to fully organic production half the world would starve to death.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Half the world *is* starving to death.

Maybe I should have said, "Just about anything"
-Mike
Well being in business for a good many years qualifies me to say I can just about top anyones story of weirdo clients. But I humbly submit that I am defeated here , Oh my will suprises never stop coming forth

So, what is shellac made of anyway?
| | So, what is shellac made of anyway?
Bug snot. No, really.
Jay Windley wrote:

Has anyone ever seen how the stuff is actually harvested?
The more I think about it, the more amazing it is, really. There must be billions of the things on plantations somewhere, and they must drain one hell of a lot of whatever plants they eat dry.
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:03:02 +0000, Andy Dingley

Most of my vegetarian friends think that eating moose (and other wild game) is OK. Moose-eating vegetarians from the Yukon! So the answer is: only if it comes from wild bees that have abandoned their hive.

Hide glue is made from animals who have died a happy natural death surrounded by their loving human partners (and are therefore unfit for human consumption). So, unless they believe that critters should be given a proper Christian burial . . .
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle