using router table as a jointer

Page 2 of 2

For 12-24" I would say the TS jig/sled in a more realistic scale than 8' long would probably be less trouble with the results being better more likely.
stryped wrote:

x-no-archive-does-it-work: nope x-so-why-do-people-do-it: delusions of anonymity

You ask a million questions. Basic questions. Don't they have libraries where you are? Get some books and magazines out and READ. Then get into the shop and DO. It's the only way to learn.

The key to so many questions. JOAT's sig is appropriate to this notion as well. So many questions can easily be answered by a little trial and error. A little experimentation. A little effort. So what if the poster does not "know"? That's what becomes the benefit of simply thinking one's way through a problem and trying a few things. Simply coming to newsgroups, or to other folks with questions *instead* of trying things and learning things, offers little real value. Absent some fundamental understanding, information is useless - there's no real context for the information.
To the OP - grow a set fella. Think about your problem a bit. Come up with a method that uses your logical mind to deal with the issue at hand, and give it a buzz. If it works - great. You'll have discovered something that you know works and that you understand. It becomes a fundamental building block of knowledge. If it doesn't work - look at it and think about it again. Surely you'll see what was appropriate in your idea and what caused your implementation to fail. This is not complex stuff. Change it and give it a buzz again. You'll be getting better with each iteration of your process.
Just think where we'd be if Edison had to wait for usenet to be invented so he could ask questions of all the things he didn't yet know...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
RicodJour wrote:

Or the Internet? <G>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=jointing+with+router+table&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
B A R R Y wrote:

To the OP: If you're starting from scratch, books are a lot easier. It's nice to approach the subject systematically (not talking about the saw blades, neither!). You could hit the library, take out three books, and in the matter of a week you'd be an old pro at being a beginner. ;) You'd also get far more out of the replies you get on the newsgroup(s).
RicodJour wrote:

X-no-archive does work for google archives. The post is available for 6 days:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-No-Archive
When DejaNews was purchased by Google, Google continued to honor the X-No-Archive protocol. Beginning in 2005, Google's newsgroup service (Google Groups) changed its handling of X-No-Archive, allowing messages with the header to be archived and made available for view for a period of six days; after six days, the message was then deleted from the archive. Other newsgroup archiving services have also followed in DejaNews' footsteps, though the decision not to archive X-No-Archive messages has been entirely voluntary.
x-no-archive: yes
For small pieces say a foot or two in length, would the router table set up do a better job or would using a straight edge sort of jig as has been described here do the same job? What about for edge glueing boards? Leon wrote:

stryped wrote:

what you are describing is a split fence. that will work.
Or a strait edge and hand held router.
> Build a TS

I don't mean to be rude, but.... did you spend even five seconds thinking about which side needs the shim before you posted? I understand you're new to a lot of this, and need some help here and there, but you really need to think things through a bit.
--
Regards,

If the in feed is at the same depth as the bit, would it cut?
x-no-archive:yes
So I need to install the shim underneath the outfeed side. Then make sure the outfeed side is even with the cutting head. Then the infeed side will be automatically below the cutting head by the thickness of the shim?
See, I have a small beginning ryobi router table. I only have a single piece fence.
stryped wrote:

See what happens when you think? :)
--
dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

What's frightening is all the things you have to keep in mind while using this equipment if you want to keep all your fingers.
Care and thought! Think through everything before you plug anything in. I don't think the NG will help with this.
er
--
email not valid

stryped wrote:

One of the most useful tools anyone can own for woodworking or anything else is a brain. You were born with one, use it.
stryped wrote:

One suggestion I'd make: ensure that your router bit is 90-degrees to the surface of the router table.
Fences are nice, but unless the bit is perpendicular, the jointing's going to be a tad off.
If I were you I would take a straight edge with me when purchasing lumber and try to build within your knowledge and equipment capabilities. A planner is nice to have but not the way to face flatten a board (Without making a jig ) Buy lumber with one flat side before planning ( flat side down) . An used # 7 plane can also flatten one side as well. This # 7 plane can also joint your edge. Remember you need one flat edge and one flat face before ripping board or planning.