Using a Router to create molding/trim

You're welcome. Glad nobody got hurt -- doing it the way you were trying to carries a serious potential for serious injury.

By the way... this should all be explained in the owner's manual that came with your router... :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

Be thankful you're not a little red. From blood.

Those are BIG bits you're using and you really shouldn't be using them (or any other big bit) unless and until you know what you are doing. I know perfectly well you won't follow that advice so, to recap...

  1. Set your fence so that you are taking off a MAXIMUM of 1/8" of wood from any point on the board.
  2. The edge being cut is next to the fence; i.e., the progression of things as you look from the front of the table is... a. board to be cut b. bit c. fence
  3. Run your board from right to left viewed as you stand in front of the table.
  4. Keep your hands away from the bit and the board tight against both table and fence.

If that doesn't cut the full profile of the bit (probably won't), move the fence back 1/8" and do another pass. Repeat as necessary, making the last pass 1/16" or less to assure smoothest cutting finish.

Once you start cutting, keep the board moving. If you stop, the bit will burn the wood. I can't tell you how *fast* to move the board as that comes from experience and the sound. Which is why I never use sound protection.

Reply to
dadiOH

Manual? Is that something like a help file? :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Probably, but if you've got a 1x6, a saw, and a c-clamp it's easy to make them.

isn't the best set of instructions I've seen but it should be enough to give you the general idea. Pick up a piece of oak at wherever you buy wood and you should be set for featherboards for the rest of your life.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"dadiOH" wrote in news:0MXDi.13369$sf1.850 @trnddc01:

Sure, just press F1 on the router.

If you've got a Linux router, it's probably /command/ --help or man /command/ :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You're right. I knew what I wanted to say, it just came out backwards.

Reply to
Upscale