Using a Router to create molding/trim

Page 2 of 2
tom wrote:

What Tom said. But in 24 point font: DON'T DO THIS.
Here's a video that will help ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
2HqyraqOs The routing starts ~2min into the video.
Bas.
Nosstech wrote:

The fence should just support the workpiece as it passes over the bit. Feeding as you are, right to left between the fence and the bit is like shooting wood out of a cannon.

Sounds like your taking the full cut at one go. Move the fence closer to the bit, and take smaller cuts at a time.
Also think about a feather board system to hold the board tight to the fence and table.
Never stand behind the outfeed side until you can control the feed rate.
Pete
On Sep 6, 10:44 am, snipped-for-privacy@mts.net wrote:

Pete,
Thanks for the info. I have received a ton of great tips today. Can I buy a Feather Board at my lock home depot or lowes?
50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com: <snippage>

Maybe. You can get them at Rockler, or Woodcraft, or one of the other specialty stores. Or make one or more.
Before you plug your router in again, spend some serious, focused time at the following website: www.patwarner.com
Pat is a very experienced teacher, and knows more about routers than most of us here. And has put together a website to make clear answers to questions you didn't know you had.
Many of us started with similar experiences to what you describe. Most of us got through them without stitches. Not all.
Be cautious. And read Pat's stuff.
Patriarch
Nosstech wrote:

Probably, but if you've got a 1x6, a saw, and a c-clamp it's easy to make them. http://www.woodzone.com/tips/featherboard.htm isn't the best set of instructions I've seen but it should be enough to give you the general idea. Pick up a piece of oak at wherever you buy wood and you should be set for featherboards for the rest of your life.
--John