Using a router for edge jointing

Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could recommend.
I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good experience with jointing boards using this method.
I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I need any more exercise for a while.
Hal wrote:
| Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and | hoping there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone | could recommend.
Clamp a straight-edged (anything) to the board and use it as a fence to guide the router.
Hal wrote: > Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping > there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could > recommend.
I use a 2x2x1/8x96 extruded aluminum angle from the Home Depot and a couple of 3" C-Clamps along with a 3/4 straight bit in a fixed base router.
Works for me.
YMMV
You could also make a jig by using a piece of 1/4 ply about 3 wide, centered and glued onto a piece of 1/2 ply about 12 wide.
First pass will trim 12 wide piece dead nuts.
After that, place cut edge on desired cut line..
Lew

I set up my router table with a 1/64" shim on the outfeed side of the fence which worked quite well for edge jointing short boards. Since most router table fences are 36" or less you are going to have difficulty with longer boards. Since I purchased my HD Jointer I haven't used the router table much. For longer boards than my HD Jointer can accurately joint, (4 ' & >) I too use a long straight edge with a 3/4 straight bit in my hand held router which always gives me good results and is the cheapest solution.
I guess what everyone is saying is forget about the router table and just use a straight edge with a handheld router.
Since the boards each way about 40 pounds and 2" thick I was not too happy thinking of juggling them onto a router table even with a 36" fence and feeding them onto an saw table as an extension
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

nospam" <"hskurnick(nospam) wrote:

If the edges are not already pretty good you'd do better to make a carrier and rip them on a saw (clamp to piece of ply overhanging a bit, use ply to guide on fence) THEN use a clamped on straight edge and router to cut off a whisker.
--

dadiOH

I know this is not directly answering your question, but do you have a table saw? It's simple to make a carrier board that your workpiece is clamped to, and use the table saw to cut the straight edge. It is quicker, quieter, and (for me anyway) much easier than using any type of router table fence, especially for longer boards.

Larry W wrote:

Don't have a table saw either - have a Radial Arm - and don't think I would trust ripping an eight foot board and keeping it straight and glue ready when finished.