used motor oil becomes toxic waste

Page 1 of 2
This morning I had to go to the local auto parts store and decided to take along a 5 gallon can containing about 2 gallons of used motor oil to pour into the recycle barrel. My can originally contained new motor oil. The counter guy absolutely refused to allow me to pour my used motor oil in with the other used motor oil. The reason? My container is not an approved toxic waste container. But they do have the approved containers for sale!
I asked if I bought an approved container and poured my oil into it, would I then be allowed to pour this same oil into the recycle barrel? Yes, of course.
Just when I thought the laws in HaHafornia couldn't get any stupider.
I'd have dropped (placed) the entire container on his counter, smiled and wished him good day...
Rob

Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 8:19pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (TheoldMillrat) says: This morning I had to go to the local auto parts store and decided to take along a 5 gallon can containing about 2 gallons of used motor oil <snip>
No prob. Just keep it, and use it on various projects. I would strain it first tho. I'm looking for a 35-55 gal barrel, with a spout, myself. Then strain it as it's poured in. Paint it on bare metal, to keep it from rusting, if nothing else. http://www.google.com/search?q=%22USE+USED+MOTOR+OIL%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google+Search
JOAT Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put off until, let's say, next year. - Lady Myria LeJean.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
I am SO glad to be out of that state! Don't forget such other goodies as smog inspecting new cars every other year while 1971 smog-belchers are exempt! (BTW-This law is also referred to as the "auto mechanics full employment act".)
Another gem: I lived in San Jose and the local newspaper, the San Jose Mercury News, reported on the water cleanliness laws there regarding what is allowable to dump down the drain of your sink (sounds like strict laws would be a GOOD thing, right?). Turns out that the DRINKING WATER coming OUT of your faucet DOESN'T meet the cleanliness requirements to go DOWN your sink drain. So, technically you are breaking the law every time you turn on the faucet and allow any water down the drain.
Oh yes, also, in the workplace if you remove a Band-Aid from your finger make sure you don't throw it in the wastebasket. That is "biohazardous waste" and must go in an approved and appropriately marked container and disposed of "properly".
<<<SNIP>>>

Is it legal to have mercury in a news paper? It could end up in the water supply.
Thu, Jul 24, 2003, 1:12am snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (George) says: I am SO glad to be out of that state! Don't forget such other goodies as smog inspecting new cars every other year while 1971 smog-belchers are exempt! <snip>
However. Few 1971 vehicles would be daily drivers. The vast majority, if not all, of them are probably restored, well tuned, and only driven maybe once a week, and probably very few miles a year.
JOAT Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put off until, let's say, next year. - Lady Myria LeJean.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
(George) says:

don't bet on that. not much rain out that way. here in phoenix, you see 1970's vw bugs in perfect condition being used daily, that haven't been restored.

Thu, Jul 24, 2003, 10:32am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.stratus.com (CharlieSpitzer) says: don't bet on that. not much rain out that way. here in phoenix, you see 1970's vw bugs in perfect condition being used daily, that haven't been restored.
Ah, but you have to make an exception for VW Bugs - the real Bugs, not these new ones they call Bugs. You see a number of them around here too, mostly unrestored, daily drivers.
JOAT Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put off until, let's say, next year. - Lady Myria LeJean.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
old chevy pickups, fords, etc. with a max humidity of 20%, nothing rusts. you can find metal cans that have been sitting out in the desert for 50 years that are still in pretty good condition. there's an early 70's volvo in my office parking lot with rusted lower panels that's been parking there for at least 15 years, but it's still got montana license plates. it hasn't rusted any further, but the paint has faded a few shades.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
(Charlie Spitzer) says: don't bet on that. not much rain out that way. here in phoenix, you see 1970's vw bugs in perfect condition being used daily, that haven't been restored.
Ah, but you have to make an exception for VW Bugs - the real Bugs, not these new ones they call Bugs. You see a number of them around here too, mostly unrestored, daily drivers.
JOAT Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put off until, let's say, next year. - Lady Myria LeJean.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Yeah, cars that ugly never die.
Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Feh. I looked up "ugly" in a dictionary, and right next to a picture of SWMBO was a wood cutting of the original Beetle.
George wrote:

At least here in Mary-Land...1978 and older cars are exempt... .. BUT seriously I collect (and drive) older cars... The total "garbage" I put in the air driving any of them is a hell of a lot less then the amount of garbage my lawn tractor spits out in any given year...with the wet spring and the number of times I have had to cut the grass this year my lawn tractor is going to really add some pollutants to the air...(at least I can hope the wind is blowing to the South East....towards Washington DC ( Congress). not wishing any ill effects on the residents of that city who do not even have any voting rights in congress. . Back to the oil.... My dad used to dump his old oil along the foundation to our house.. and then poured a little inside the car doors etc...(he never had a rocker panel rust out so do not laugh...)... Well things have progressed in the last 50 or so years and that solution has not been available (legally) for years
AND I change the oil in my old cars every 500 miles, filters every 1000 miles ...but not less then twice a year if the cars do not get driven 500 miles... for years I dumped the oil at our local gas station ..today I drive 30 miles to a certified disposal facility because no service station wants to deal with the EPA regulations... not really that much of a problem... and I still do not have a termite problem and today's cars have much better rust protection
Bob Griffiths
Bob G. spaketh...

retired?
--
McQualude

Reminds me of how many times I said, when in the service "there's no good reason for it, it's just a regulation...."
Someone's career was made on writing in that "approved container" language, you can bet. I know that the number of septic sucker places around here went way down when they had to get their trucks licensed as toxic waste haulers.

On 23 Jul 2003 20:19:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (The old Millrat) wrote:

The container(s) the new oil came in is usually an approved container.
Here in CT, many places won't accept used oil if they think the oil or the container it's in are contaminated with other chemicals.
Barry
Barry Burke notes:

WTF do they think happens to the acids from the engine the motor oil has been used to protect? Or do they not consider those chemicals?
Charlie Self
"If our democracy is to flourish, it must have criticism; if our government is to function it must have dissent." Henry Commager
On 24 Jul 2003 11:29:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah (Charlie Self) wrote:

I guess that's factored in. My take is that they mainly want to avoid highly flammable chemicals in the oil. One of the big no-no's is carb cleaner.
In my area, you bring in your oil, dump it yourself into a 250-500 gal recycling container, and take your smaller containers with you.
Barry
message (Charlie Self)

Any chlorinated hydrocarbon is a big problem for the recycler.
--

FF

This provoked me to pipe my grill to my house-wide LP gas system. Works fine.
I bet those guys don't 'overfill' my 300 gallon tank once a year...
--
Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont
snipped-for-privacy@fredking.us
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:23:03 -0400, Terry King wrote:

I do have a NG outlet at the Barbie, but I really don't want to spend a minimum of $500 for a new NG BBQ, and the conversion routines for LP to NG I have looked at on the web indicate the drilling out of the orifices is a one way operation. One of these days when I have the spare $500 as a backup, I'll try the conversion routine.
-Doug