Update On Sawdust Clay

A week or so ago I mixed up a small amount of sawdust clay - two parts sawdust, one part flour, water.

Well, it dried out, no mold, no sour smell. Easy enough to break off a chunk, with no crumblies, but seemed reasonably sturdy enough to last quite a long time, if it isn't abused. So, I whipped a coat of latex paint on my sample.

Amazing. It is Much stronger. I would think I could break off a chunk, if I tried, but it would definitely take more effort than the unpainted sample. It's not smooth like real clay would be, and I don't know how well it would sand smooth. But, I'm pretty sure it would smooth out with several coats of paint - if you need it smooth. It's always nice to learn some things firsthand. Hmm, this might be something interesting to do on those slow days in the shop.

I'm thinking it wouldn't be a major deal to make fireplace logs with this. I would think it'd burn, but don't know how well, and don't know that I'll ever check.

JOAT Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Reply to
J T

Press it flat and veneer it and you have the makings of modern furniture. Does it come out the color of the wood the sawdust came from?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Fri, Oct 21, 2005, 3:43am snipped-for-privacy@netcommander.com (Gerald=A0Ross) has scribed: Press it flat and veneer it and you have the makings of modern furniture. Does it come out the color of the wood the sawdust came from?

I don't think I'd want to mess around trying to veneer it, not for making furniture anyway.

The batch I mixed up came out the same color as the sawdust. Some food coloring in the water might be interesting. I'm thinking a poly coating would have about the same effect as the latex I put on - make it stronger, which should mean more durable. Later on, I think I'll mix up enough to make a ball, about soft ball size, then once it's dried, coat it with water base poly. Then, toss it around, to see how durable it is.

JOAT Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Reply to
J T

mix a little white glue into the water and it'll get even stronger.

Reply to
bridger