Oak Sawdust

I'm working on a biofuels research project at the univ. of Okla. School of Chemical Engineering. We'd like to obtain some oak sawdust to try our process on. We need very fine sawdust, not chips or "flour". Does anyone know where I can get this, or is willing to make some for us? We need about 10-15 gallons worth to start with (we'll need to sieve what we get to sort out the particle size we need). If things go well, we might need this much every week or two.

Failing to be able to buy the sawdust, what would be the best way to make our own? The first batch I made, I "ground up" a 1X4 on my contractor's saw using a dado blade. The wood, being oak, didn't like this, and tried to kick back every few inches of feed.

Reply to
lektric dan

I suspect it had more to do with operation than species.

If the dado set gave you the size you needed, I'd stick with it. Install some hold-downs & feather-boards and develop a safe feed rate help with the kickback.

I'm not sure if this would get the size dust you require, but a large, high power, belt sander with a 60 grit belt would take down oak about as fast as you could feed it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Find a local cabinet shop, hardwood supplier, or someone else that manufactures or sells items from oak. They would probably give you all you could haul away.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

The local cabinet shops here (El Paso, TX) produce tons of the stuff.

Max

Reply to
Max

Cabinet shops will have too much of varied types of wood and at least half plywood which has glues, resins, etc.

I would get a North Carolina phone book and look for furniture manufacturers specializing in oak furniture. In the states that is the region with a concentration of furniture manufacturing left, such as it is.They should have large enough operations that they will have already isolated dust collection systems only connected to solid oak production. At least for spans of time.

Any of the smaller manufactures will love another source of revenue.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

--------------------------------- Got any Amish cabinet shops in your area?

They tend ton specialize in white oak.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'd check with a local sawmill. They'll have plenty.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yeah -- such as it is. Thomasville Furniture, certainly one of the best known names in the North Carolina furniture industtry, now runs just one plant. And it only does minor re-work (touch-up) on shipping damage to the China-manufactured stuff they now sell. While they still have staff with the ability to repair real damage, the bean-counters forbid it. Those pieces go in the dumper.

That's pretty indicative of the whole T-ville-Greensboro-High Point area, I'm told. Probably hasn't helped the barbeque industry in the area, either... Said to be the area's best*, Lexington Bar-B-Que is just across the highway from Lexington Furniture.

*Never was able to get over there while they were open, but I'll keep trying!
Reply to
Steve

I live in Southeast Kansas, not too far away. In addition to the suggestions you already have received, I would try sawmills, hardwood mills and pallet manufacturers. We have a sawmill/pallet manufacturer in our home town (St. Paul) who has large mounds of sawdust and chips next to their shop. Another sawmill on the edge of town has some visible piles.

There are quite a few mills in the SW Missouri area too. I buy hardwood from a mill near Pierce City. He doesn't cut all of his stock, but it comes from somewhere.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Church pews are usually made of white oak. Here's a list of manufacturers:

's a search for Oklahoma

Kimosabe

a planer set on slow feed and very light cut would probably give you what you need.

Reply to
Steve Barker

While watching a PBS show Hometime episode 'Stone Cottage - Millwork' Dean Johnson, the host, visited a Crown Molding company. The owner stated they sell their sawdust for cow bedding. Something to keep in mind.

Mike > I'm working on a biofuels research project at the univ. of Okla.

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

By "flour," do you mean it has to be finer than what is produced by sanding?

Reply to
Kimosabe

I hope you're working on cyclonically-suspended wood dust in an oxygenated atmosphere ignited piezo-electrically with maybe concentric liquid oxygen jets. I love when shit blows up. Post a video.

RicodJour

Check the Mythbuster's web site. They might have a place for you!

RonB

Reply to
RonB

local cabinet shop works with oak will help you

Reply to
http://www.Towood.com/ Export