Update on rip fence ideas

x-no-archive:yes
Last night I had a few minutes and was fooling around with the saw. I actually made a pretty straight edge on this rough cut lumber. I installed the wood flooring on the rip fence the other day. I just kept it on and used that. I nailed a piece of flat metal on top of a small board with the edge hanging over. I used this edge to reference the wood florring on my rip fence and slid it through by hand. I was fairly straight although the end got messed up where I did not have one end of the metal nailed down completely and it shifted. It looked like it would work though. I was wondering if I could make something for longer boards like a piece of 2 inch flat metal with a series of holes in it to place some nails to nail it to the board. Maybe weld some round metal to it sticking up horizontally to use as handels to help slide it through.
Also, I did not have time to try using angle iron as a fence. One thing I did notice when playing with the angle iron in the garage floor is if using flat metal on top of a board as above it does not slide well against the angle iron. (Metal to metal contact). I think it would still be doable though.
I just need to get my edges as straight as possible. I may need to glue some panels for a project I would like to do for Mothers day for my mom. (A self contained small drawer that would hold knives. It has a butchers block on top of the drawer. It is in one of my books). The bottom of the drawer needs a wide board which I do not have.
I'm glad you finally got it working. I wouldn't stress out too much about it. Just accept the fact that your first few projects are not going to be perfect. I've been in this hobby for about 15 years now (which is short time compared to some), and I still make plenty of goofs. Focus on having fun, instead of striving for absolute perfection and you'll enjoy the hobby more. Just remember that no one is going to scrutinize your piece in that much detail. I'm sure your mom will enjoy your project.
stryped wrote:

On 3/30/2006 8:36 AM stryped mumbled something about the following:

Are you ever going to learn to drop your no-archive crap? Doesn't matter, when someone replies to you, your post gets archived for all the world to see.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

That's the way. Keep messing around and experimenting and let us know how you make out. Post a couple of pictures in the binaries group if you can.

There's always tomorrow. Even God took 6 days...

Don't forget to consider using plywood for the bottom. That's what I would do instead of gluing up a board.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net