Unique Problem With Air Tool...

The flaws in the one poor study that claimed any association between AL and Alz have been thoroughly identified and the claimed association disproven by many better controlled studies.

The only issue with teflon that has any shred of truth is toxicity of vapors released from seriously overheated teflon ( That said, plenty of restaurants cook on bare aluminum.

Nearly all restaurants cook in basic AL cookware.

Reply to
Pete C.

Teflon breaks down above 500 degrees, and I'm sure that some of the polymer is already loosening it's bonds before that. Pretty much all monomers are carcinogenic. Then again, so is sunlight, and probably jogging.

RicodJour

The FDA allows food grade silicone in the main valve of Rainsoft water softeners. I've been using it for about 15 years.

Max

Reply to
Max

They sure do. However, given the nature of what they are doing, they need to go to the FDA for approval every time they change something in the system such as this... and their reluctance to do that is clear. If the machine changes slightly, apparently the loophole exists that they don't need a new approval.

I wish I knew the exact application... But for all I know, they're using them on live patients knee cap replacement parts - in body already... I simply don't know...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill

Who is this McMaster fellow?

I'll check it out shortly. Seem like good options. Thank you.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I think that you have an honorable intent, Joe, and I won't belabor my point beyond this post.

However, if the system has a MTBF and, if your unit is overly engineered, or overly manufactured, making it the most costly part, that might outlive the MTBF by many times - I don't think that you are doing anyone a favor.

There are mission critical systems and mission critical components of those systems.

If your component is going to get tossed at a thousand hours, and you made it to last ten thousand hours, at a cost of fifty percent more than one that would last a thousand hours - I don't think that you are shafting the customer by staying with a unit that lasts a thousand hours.

As always,

YMMV

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

I would try teflon rings for the seals. It sounds like this is something that is used under true sterile controls. I would assume it can be disassembled for autoclaving?

Reply to
Steve W.

medical tool company, operated by Rob Lee's father IIRC (of Lee Valley Tool Fame).

I don't see anything directly related to your issue, but they do have engineers and such that are familiar with surgical/medical equipment.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Joe: I don't have a solution for you but I would like to say I like your attitude regarding improving your product without the user bitching. A rare attitude in today's business world. If I ever find myself in need of your type of products I will jump your direction.

Stu Fields

Reply to
Stu Fields

I doubt they cook it... In fact, I can pretty much guarantee they don't...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Another lead I'll check out. Thank you.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Can't let that one by. Teflon is basically inert, including biologically, at room tempertures and you have to heat it quite a bit to get it to decompose. To glue it, the teflon surface has to be chemically treated to turn it into something not-teflon so the glue will stick. I've not heard about having to toss non-stick cookware that's had the surface damaged, probably happens anyway because it's a pain to use that way. The carcinogenic part is the chemicals used to make and attach the coating, not the coating itself. Just had a green spasm in the press about that in the last few months. A lot of current cookware is now silicone coated, just waiting for somebody to find a problem with THAT.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Thanks Stu. The way I see it, it's the only proper way to do business anyhow. I appreciate the compliment.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill

... So iow the user has implied they're not going to rock the boat but if the manufacturer changes the equipment, "well, how were _we_ to know???"?

Seems like an uncomfortable position to be in. Do you certify the equipment to any Standard or spec if you do simply change a seal material that would be in contravention to?

Seems hard to evaluate what, if any, effect a fix might have if you don't even know what it is your device application is...

I'd assumed you were working w/ the end user on this rather than in isolation.

--

Reply to
dpb

You didn't say what you're using for a seal now. There are a zillion materials out there--kind of hard to make a suggestion until one knows what it has to beat.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Anybody looked at dry film lubricants?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Leaping in several hours too late, but...

PTFE piston rings or even cast iron piston rings. Cast iron may well be better.

If perfect sealing is vital, look up Clupet style piston rings. If perfect sealing is not a major problem, just use a split ring with a few thou of clearance.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Besides, someone will come along and say that _their_ stuff doesn't have the problem and they'll boot you out. Several years later, when they find out that that company's rep was wrong or lying it'll be too late.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Can you heat it up? (I suspect not -- I can't recall teflon getting significantly more pliable with heat).

Are there alternatives to what you have that are pliable and slippery? (I can't think of any, at least none that won't be impregnated with something nasty, but I thought I'd toss out the notion).

Can you make a long split ring with a feature on the inside to engage the o-ring groove on the quill, and a serpentine cut that gets squeezed closed when you put the rig into the piston?

You may be able to make a ring with a feature that's big enough to snap into the o-ring groove and stay, but shallow enough (and maybe tapered) enough that the ring will expand over the quill -- like this, with all due allowances for ASCII art:

If your quill is chamfered enough on the end you may even be able to retain sharp edges on both sides of the ridge.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I was under the impression that there was a thin layer of stainless steel over the AL core (to avoid staining, e.g. tomato sauce).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal