Unique Problem With Air Tool...

I don't think so... But it is certainly one of the things I'm thinking about. It would have to be a pretty serious O-Ring to work in the existing groove... And then the tolerances are so tight between teh quill/piston and the cylinder wall (0.001" or so...) that a cup seal, which expands is usually more efficient. An O-Ring might squeeze in there but cause too much resistance even if it were a special substance.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

There are many food grade lubricants. Here is one:

DanG

Why not use teflon rings that are a very close fit to the cylinder walls? They will wear a bit over time, but if the cylinder is smooth, they should still seal well enough to develop pressure, and not stick or bind.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You make a helical slit in the seal. When stuffed in the bore, and constrained by the groove in the ram, the tapered ends of the seal press together. I'm sure there is a fixture or tool to do this, but I have no idea what it would look like. But, custom seals like this are a fairly common device, so there must be a standard tool to cut the ends.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Teflon begins to break down above 450 C, which is QUITE hot. And, it can be subjected to 400 C operation for YEARS with no detectable change.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I looked at my Parker O-Ring Handbook and they discuss o-ring sliding friction, etc. They claim to make PTFE coated o-rings as one option, but maybe you should call one of their technical reps and discuss your problem with them and see if there is anything new out there. The handbook says that generally that the harder durometer elastomers have less sliding friction, but optimal design has many factors including groove depth, materials, etc.

Reply to
Denis G.