Unifence on a Jet Contractor

Hi:

I posted a message asking for impressions or pitfalls of installing a Unifence on a Jet Contractor saw. There is little specifics in the archives and I recieved no response to the post. Which I guess, would indicate this is an unusual combo.

I purchased a new, 'dinged' 52" Unifence with the looong Aluminum fence a few weeks ago from a local retailer for $75. The 'ding' is a chip in the top of the front rail at the 52" end about 1/8" x 3/8". The fence came with 3 bags of nuts and bolts, but lacked the mdf tables, suppport rails and legs.

At the local steel supply I found the iron I needed for $0.25 a pound and walked out $14 lighter with more than enough material for the supports and legs. Found a 4x6 (?) misman sheet of 3/4" doug-fir bcx for $12 and a 3x8 sheet of a lovely mauve formica laminate for the top at $9. Needed ~$5 in additional nuts and bolts.

Total $115.

Since I didn't have the tables, making them was the first step. Dimensions for the right side are provided in the Delta instructions and work for the Jet as well. No surpise there.

Installing the fence was a snap. The only modification to the saw needed is; the two front holes where the Jet Fence bolted to the cast top are threaded, these needed to be drilled to 3/8". Plus I needed

1.5 x 3/8 bolts instead of the supplied bolts to install the fence to the cast iron top on the Jet. That is literally the only mod needed to install the fence.

This fence is awesome. My brother and I both have the Jet and clamp the back end down of the Jet Fence when making rips. The Unifence is much more stable and a nice stout piece of work. I was going to cut the 52" rail down to 30" so I wouldn't have to take up the additional room in my work space for the 52" rail. My brother convinced me to keep it at 52". Good idea. Makes cutting sheet goods much nicer.

Hope this might help someone else considering the Unifence for thier Jet.

Steve Vegos

Reply to
spud

I put on on my Grizzley, piece of crap, 1025. Works great.

Colorado Springs, CO My advice may be worth what you paid for it.

Reply to
Dan Dunphy

I love the Unifence also! After 5 years and wishing I could put board buddies on it and other jigs, I bought the below:

-0600, Dan Dunphy

This is a wonderfully designed piece of hardware. Good prices on feather boards also.

wrote:

Reply to
Ramsey