Unidentified Timber

Hi All, Ref my post about a piece of ships timber from the late 18th Century which I found on the beach.

The timber has now been identified as English Oak by Dr. Andy Pitman at Bucks Chiltern College. The dark colouration is probably due to the long immersion.

And an interesting postscript: yesterday my wife and I found another large piece of what looks to be part of the same wreck. The same wood and the same copper/bronze pins make me think it is from the same wreck. Looks like something may have been disturbed on the seabed and more bits and pieces may show up.

Thanks for all the input from you guys.

IanF

Reply to
IanF