UHMW, HDPE for router fence

Where is a good place to get this stuff? Anything I should know before buying it? I plan on making my own router fence.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:42:13 +0000, Subw00er wrote:

Grainger McMaster-Carr
If you are in or near a larger metro area, look in Yellow Pages under plastics. There always seems to be someone selling sheet goods.
You might even be able to find a local fabricator where you can buy scraps.

Look in the yellow pages for a plastics distributor (Cadillac, Laird etc.) and see if they have any "drops" in the size you need. I would also stick to UHMW if possible as it wears much better than HDPE. You might check for "repro" which is cheaper and usually comes in black (although some mfgs. use other colors) and will wear just as well. Good luck.
I used Nylatron, a molybdenum filled plastic used for high wear surfaces in the packaging machinery industry. It's probably overkill and a bit spendy, but this stuff is amazingly tough and slippery. I got luck and scored a couple of big 2" thick sheets from a dumpster (really!). I found this via google: http://www.machinist-materials.com/Direct_sale/Direct-sale-nylatron_flats.htm I have no connections with them. dean s afton mn dschwalm a t earthlink d o t net

In my searching, I found http://www.mcmaster.com/ do a search on part# 8671K73
Is that the right stuff?

I used HDPE for my router fence face. I bought it as 1" and milled it to about 3/4". A couple things to know... It'll clog dust collection pipe fairly easily, and it will not mill flat. I used 4 carriage bolts on either side of center to pull it flat to my maple fence and that seems to take the slight bend out.
Brian.