TS switch was multi- up/down to start; now runs in ON or OFF position

http://canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id 5524443277381&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id08474396672971&bmUID63483739505
is my Canadian Tire TS.
The switch started acting up after I had owned it for 6 mos. I would have to flick the switch up/down dozens of times, even hundred to get it to start. Once on, it stayed on until I shut it off again. While quickly repeatedly flicking it, it seemed the power was getting through at any point along the throw of the switch. It was getting a minor spark to the motor with minor partial rotation during many non-contiguous times flicking. I had a premonition which has just now come true. Now when plugged in and running, the OFF position does not stop rotation. I have to unplug the cable to stop rotation. I can plug it in to start it while it is in the OFF position. The switch does have an integral plastic safety "key", which pulls out, but probably isn't any part in the problem. The key used to work properly; now, in or out, it doesn't matter.
My local CT may be the type of place I could likely take the switch, or other faulty component, and get another one, but I wouldn't know what or if I could do anything about it myself; not knowing how the switch would connect to the motor, or the motor to the switch, etc.. I haven't looked. I may need to revisit this post after this initial consultation.
Is it the switch, or could it be the motor or anything else?
-

http://canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id 5524443277381&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id08474396672971&bmUID63483739505
First, clean the switch. Get some compressed air in there to get the dust that might be bleeding voltage out of the way. Then, with power off, throw the switch a few times, shoot some more air to clean the carbon off the contact bars. Tap the switch a few times on each of its four corners and get some more air in there to redistribute what you knocked loose.
If it doesn't work, go get another switch. Wouldn't hurt to get a "motor rated" switch, because it's heavier to take the startup load of an inductive motor, even though yours is a universal.
While you're under there, get a little air in and around the carbons and commutator.
I'm sure the OEM specified a price point, and if they could save a dime on the switch and get marginal copper, they did.
I do not have access to an air hose, but I have a couple other options. 1 immediate alternative is my decent leaf blower, but I am not sure if this is at all appropriate. I could modify the leaf blower with a paper cone possibly. Or I could buy a can of compressed air designed for computer parts, etc.. Are either of these gonna work?
-

Dollars to donuts you could get a replacement for six-eight bucks.
Tue, Nov 14, 2006, 1:35am snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (bent) doth posteth: <snip>The switch started acting up after I had owned it for 6 mos.<snip> My local CT may be the type of place I could likely take the switch, or other faulty component, and get another one, but I wouldn't know what or if I could do anything about it myself; not knowing how the switch would connect to the motor, or the motor to the switch, etc.. I haven't looked. I may need to revisit this post after this initial consultation. <snip>
My first thought was this is a troll. But then I checked, and you've posted here before, so I wan't say more.
That should have been your first hint something is wrong with the switch. You've already been told about cleaning the switch. If you've got to replace the switch, it ain't rocket science. You take the wires off the old switch, attach the wires to the new switch, in the same places - ff you need to, take notes first on where the wires go You might want to stick your head in and take a look - you'd best unplug the saw first. Or maybe just call in an electrician.
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

http://canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id 5524443277381&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id08474396672971&bmUID63483739505
Remove it and take it to a home center, or maybe CT. If they don't have a replacement (or if the clerk is too ignorant to know what you are showing him) go to an electrical supply house. Or, try Grizzly; they have replacement switches, but are expensive.
My jointer switch broke. I bought a replacement for $4 at Home Depot. It was a little small and I had to make a new front cover, but that wasn't a big deal.
isn't it called a single pole, zero throw (SDZT) switch?