Triton dowel machine.

Opinions, please. NOT a Domino, but look at the price! Credible manufacturer to boot.
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NTITEM=TC500DWL

Does not show up at tritontools.com BUT I wonder how far apart the drill are.. May not be suitable for face frames or rail and stile cabinet doors.
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:31:53 -0500, Leon wrote:

Web site that I found lists the drills has being 32mm between centers.

Basically, it's about 1.25 inches which could be considered suitable for the average rail and stile face frame of >2 inches?
On 6/12/10 1:02 PM, Upscale wrote:

Probably comes with a jig attachment for shelf pins, too.
--

-MIKE-

That might be a handy tool if some sort of incremental jig attachment was formulated for shelf pins, except for the cost of the tool over a simple jig.
I've always just marked shelf pin holes with a ruler and pencil and then gone at them with a forstner bit and a piece of tap to indicate depth. Guess I'm too cheap to buy a manufactured jig of some sort. Admittedly, I've been fortunate not to blast through some project coming out the finished side.
On 6/12/10 2:11 PM, Upscale wrote:

I've drilled for European style hinges with just a hand held cordless drill, the key is measuring twice, never failed me yet.
The best was a double door closet, three holes each, the doors are about 7 1/2 feet tall, working just fine after about 8 years. Lots of compliments on them.
--
Froz...

On 6/12/10 1:11 PM, Upscale wrote:

I think they had multi-tasking in mind. If you're going to make a double doweling machine, my not make the spacing a "standard" used in other operations.
I don't think anyone buys it for shelf pins, but when it's sitting on the shelf (pun) and you need to drill pin holes, go ahead and grab it.
--

-MIKE-

I have been using this jig and bit assy. since before 1998. Pick one up while you are getting your Domino. ;~)
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pageX76&filter=shelf%20pin%20jighttp://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pageX76&filter=shelf%20pin%20jig

Naa, I'll do it the old-fashioned way: http://www.cabinetpartspro.com/features.htm
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 15:16:15 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

The old-fashioned _CNC_ way, eh, Toy? Can you recommend any books on getting into CNC wooddorking?
--
Impeach 'em ALL!

The forums (fora) are a great place to start. CNC Zone is one, the forum on Shopbottools.com is another (imo, better) and more specifically the different areas on the Vectric site. The Vectric site deals with all levels of CNC operations pertaining to their (in my case Aspire) software. I am not aware of a book for wooddorkers per se. Much of the CNC literature out there seems to be dealing with more industrial stuff like machine shops and mass production. Start off at the Shopbot site.

Actually, I mispoke when I said I've not bought a jig. I bought a few of these some time ago, but usually can't find them when I'm ready to drill holes for my shelving inserts.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p2317&cat=1,180,42311

Yeah, that would be a bit too wide for face frames. 32mm OC is about 1.25" OC and then add at least .25" for the radius of the two dowels and if not perfectly centered on a 1.5" wide face frame you would have a blow out on one side or the other. I'd say a minimum of 2" for the face frames.

AAMOF the face frames in my kitchen are 1.75", it would not have worked on them.