Totally Turning and Showcase video

Here are a couple links for video taken at my club's woodworking show "Showcase," and at the "Totally Turning" event in Saratoga Springs, NY this past weekend. There will be more to come...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFQQ6daQ9MI
www.nwawoodworkingshow.com
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

-------------------------------------- Can't get #2 to load, but #1, WOW!!!
Thks,
Lew

Not sure what is going on with the site... it has been changed a couple times today and right now last year's items are showing with some footage from the year before that... They'll get it straightened out soon I'm sure. When it is I'll post a new message as that one is a real Wow too!
So, did you see my sons' stuff and my stuff? ;~)
Thanks,
John
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

I was so totally blown away I didn't identify any specific work to a specific person.
Sorry.
Lew

Not a problem... the cards with the descriptions and names are tough to read in the videos anyway. ;~)
There has always been a lot of talent on display at Showcase and when Totally Turning was moved to the same venue and weekend last year the synergy was fantastic.
John

Just noticed that the second link is wrong too... guess I should have read it before copying and pasting it out of an e-mail to me! LOL
www.nwawoodworkingshow.org

I went to Saratoga Springs for Totally Turning and defected for a bit to the flat side. I sat in on John's workshop on Hand Tool Regulation and found it to be very informative and very well presented. He clearly explained face/edge registration and dovetailing without complicated layout lines like Frank Klausz does. John did first rate dovetailing, perhaps not as quick as Frank.:) Hey, the guy was well prepared and so confident that he brought his lovely kids along to the demo. A first rate job.
NWA and Totally Turning is a first rate Symposium at a real comfortable venue. Anyone in the Northeast should consider it for next year.
John, nice to finally meet you after all these years on the wRec.
Jerry

Blush.... Thanks Jerry, and yes, it is nice to meet long time participants from the rec!
BTW, you forgot to mention I cut those lines-free dovetails with a 22" 12 pt cross-cut panel saw for effect. ;~)
See you there next year!
John
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 03:17:06 GMT, the infamous A Lurker

Now I've heard everything...tracing a 3/4" long straight line is complicated. <thud> ;)
-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren
On Mar 29, 9:41pm, "John Grossbohlin"

Some of that stuff is breath taking. There's a lot of talent there. I especially like some of the free form art. Could you point us to your items? I'd like to see it.
Russ P.

Some of that stuff is breath taking. There's a lot of talent there. I especially like some of the free form art. Could you point us to your items? I'd like to see it.
Russ P.
Sure...
At about the 5 minute mark on the YouTube video there is an oak desk side cabinet that my 14 year old son made last summer when he was 13. He did it for his Woodworking Merit Badge. That project was the first time he used my 8" jointer, thickness planer, 3 HP cabinet saw, biscuit joiner, and Kreg Screws. He used the 18" bandsaw previously... The top, doors and front edges of the carcass are solid white oak that he took from rough sawn to finished. He resawed oak to make the book matched panels for the doors. The rest of the carcass is oak veneer ply.
Next to it is a Medieval Manor Model that my 12 year old made on the bandsaw. It's all white pine.
At about 5 minutes 19 seconds is my knitting chest. Top and base are walnut and the rest is white oak. Inside are three drawers with walnut fronts. Another piece I entered only shows up as a corner in another shot... it was an oak and walnut serving tray.
Now I need to come up with ideas for next year! LOL
John

More talent in any one peice then I can hope for. Maybe with another ten years of making fine sawdust out of great woods
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:41:58 -0400, the infamous "John Grossbohlin"

I never did understand how turning became so popular. I enjoyed the rest of it, though. The joggling board cracked me up. Quite an impressive variety of themes in that show.

She's a NOGO, John.
-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren
scrawled the following:

I posted a correction earlier but don't know if it showed up... www.nwawoodworkingshow.org
They've been updating the site today and I'm not sure which video link is there at the moment but either one of them is good!
scrawled the following:

This link http://vimeo.com/user430662 takes you to a page that let's you view either the NWA Showcase 2010: Show Prep video or the Showcase Capsule.