Tools for Kids

I have been looking online for a simple, REAL, tool set for young kids. I had one when I was a kid (30 years ago) that came in a simple wooden box, with a small-sized hammer, saw, screwdrivers, etc. but I cannot find one like that anywhere.

I have 3 young boys that are ready to do some workshop intro 'projects' that will keep them busy while I work. I just don't want to lose all my tools at the same time!

Thanks for the input!

Reply to
bobbyg

Sears sells tool kits like you are suggesting under the name Companion. if thats any help

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

My opinion is that many of those "kids" tool sets are crappy garbage. If they are old enough to be in the shop many of the smaller "normal" tools (tack hammer, coping saws, real screwdrivers etc.) would be a better choice. You can buy this sort of stuff at garage sales or elsewhere for pretty reasonable prices and you can borrow them back from the kids when you need it. I also have three young boys and they can use whatever they want as long as they put it back. I have to supervise some of what they do, but how else are they going to learn? They generally prefer hand tools over power tools with the exception of the cordless drill which they use with a carbide bit to drill rocks with.

Anyway, my point is that to teach them to respect and care for good tools, the best thing to do is to show them how and let them use them.

-j "no, they don't get to use the welding torch"

Oh, you're no fun...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

make it. build a wooden box and buy the tools to go in it.

Reply to
bridger

Better yet, let them make it, or at least help. My 2.5-year-old son can sink finish nails, and he completely nailed together a birdhouse we built together.

< drive-by gloat ;) >

-Mike

snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Reply to
Mike Reed

Good advice, IMO. And put decent quality tools in it. If the kids learn at a young age to use a quality tool the right way it will be an education for life.

Depending on age, an 8 or 12 ounce hammer Flat blade, #1, #2 Phillips screwdrivers

8" adjustable wrench Slip joint pliers. Tape measure
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I made up toolboxes for my nephews, 8 y.o. twins, with old 220s, short saws, small hammers, sharpening stones, bevel guages, try squares, compasses, spring clamps, scribes, pencils, levels and chalk lines. Mostly antiques that I'd refurbished. The didn't cost more than I'd expect to pay for new, "pretend", toolsets, and they were all good quality tools. Look around, you can probably find what you need to set him up and do a better job than the store would.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Lee Valley has some "kids" tools, which are grownup tools that are small-sized. They have an 8 oz hammer that I cut the handle down on for my very little (4 & 2) boys. They also sell stuff like kids' work gloves and a kid-sized mallet. They used to sell kids' hearing protection which has sadly vanished - anyone know another source for these? I don't do anything *really* noisy while they're around (even if they're wearing 'em) but it's great to get them in the habit, young.

They also have a "small saw" not linked off their children's page (anymore) that's probably a good size for little people. Some of those tools and a screwdriver set is probably a good start for anyone under six. Once they get a little older, a set of butt chisels and some small planes would probably be well received. I'm planning on getting my eldest a saw and some screwdrivers for Christmas; then maybe he and I can make a toolbox with them.

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

PS - also think about a brace & bit or egg-beater drill. You can probably pick one up cheap, and your kids will love it. The only thing my eldest son asked for for Christmas last year was an egg-beater drill. :)

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

Oh, you are right about the brace & bit! Even when we were too young to make it work for real, it was great for pretend work.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

I want all the fun for myself.

-j

There is a similar discussion about tools for kids on the oldtools list, which may be of interest to you:

Wolfgang Jordan

They carry some at the Toys R Us store here in town. They're Homer tools in orange boxes , as in the Orange Borge brand. They have small tool kits as well as project kits. I picked one up for my "tomboy" last Xmas and she didn't break any of the tools.

Reply to
Makinwoodchips

my sons got there tools the same way I do.. Christmas and b-day presents... they were the only kids on the block that had their very own hand saws and hammers with their names on them.. lol

Reply to
mac davis

i use foam earplugs, they can be found in NRR of 30 or so and if they are too big to be comfortable for your kids they can be cut down. (and if you forget them in pants pockets they come out of the washer clean.)

Reply to
rpayne

How 'bout this?:

WoodMangler

for my grandson. Will let you know how it pans out. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn