Toolless cord.

Page 1 of 2
I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think. After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of battery power, because it would always be plugged in.
r . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *donning Nomex underwear*
Robatoy wrote:

While slightly different from your suggestion, I WOULD like to see power tool makers providing a "battery pack" with a tail on it that could be plugged into the wall.
A simple AC->DC power adapter would fit nicely in a typical battery pack, and would at least provide a useful tool when the batteries die or are being charged.
If I were more of an EE I would look into developing my own in one of my dead battery packs.
-Nathan
Hey, I had something like that once, only they called it an electric drill, or some such nonsense....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 2892 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

I saw a cordless tool at Home Depot recently that includes a replacement for the battery that has a cord to plug it in. Basically exactly what you have described.
I can't remember the maker, but probably Ridgid or Ryobi.
Brian Elfert
writes:

I have a screwdriver like that. It's a Skil, and came with a battery and battery-cord. Unfortunately the motor brushes are pretty well shot in it and that means replacing the whole motor...which I did...but I didn't get it quite right so it's not running properly.
Puckdropper

you want to be holding the charger also; your drill isnt heavy enough?
They can start on that as soon as they complete work on an IM device that you can simply talk into instead of all of that typing.
Dave Hall

Dave Hall wrote:

It's called a phone. ;)
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:45:33 GMT, "Saudade"

You're in luck. They do make that kind of drill. It's called a "plug in drill". You have to leave it plugged in all the time to charge it (they still haven't figured out a way around that) but it's much more powerful than standard rechargable drills. Also, batteries never need replacing and it's typically lighter than those with rechargable batteries. They're available in most major hardware stores and catalogues.
Robatoy wrote:

Oh noes! Somebody beat me to it?

My cordless 19.2 volt Porter-Cable drill had a lot more torque than my Dewalt 3/8" corded drill.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

but at what RPM?
: I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and : build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord : and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using : the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think. : After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before : storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of : battery power, because it would always be plugged in.
And in case you're drilling farther away from an electrical outlet that the cord is long, they could also sell a modular unit that would extend the range -- something like another cord, with a regular plug on one end, but a female plug on the other. Maybe even make a few, in different lengths.
I bet this would catch on with the right advertising.
    -- Andy Barss

Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a modular unit like that which can take more than one tool? Work with me here, we're on to something.
:> even make a few, in different lengths.:> :> I bet this would catch on with the right advertising. : Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a : modular unit like that which can take more than one tool? : Work with me here, we're on to something.
That's brilliant! So, you could have one of these cord extenders, and just plug in whichever tool you wanted to use. Fantastic!
I was also wondering about having a sort of two-way device attached to a tool, so that you could set it one way and make the electricity go into the tool, and set it the other way, and stop the elctricity. This way you wouldn't have to remove the batteries when you wanted it to stop rotating. What do you think?
-- Andy

Andy... Don't they call that a SWITCH ?
:> I was also wondering about having a sort of two-way device :> attached to a tool, so that you could set it one way and make :> the electricity go into the tool, and set it the other way, :> and stop the elctricity. This way you wouldn't have :> to remove the batteries when you wanted it to stop rotating. :> What do you think?:> :> -- Andy
: Andy... Don't they call that a SWITCH ?
You mean someone's already making one? I only presented my idea a few hours ago. Yowza -- this interweb thing sure is fast!
    -- Andy

Nooo, I don't think it is called a switch. A switch is a small, reed-like branch.

And they are used by MEAN parents to give innocent children a SWITCHIN' just because the child was alone in the room when some expensive, fragile, useless, and ugly piece of junk self-destructed. It is extremely painfull. DAMHIKT.