Tool You Just Love To Use

Scrapers are cool...
Don't quite get how you can peel off the finish, and keep the patina though..... :)
One of my favs is the Sandvik scraper (carbide)...

Japanese saws - dozuki mainly - more zen moments per use than any other tool.
Tite-Mark marking tool. Well thought out precision marking tool.
Steve Knight marking knives (left, right and double bevel) - feel nice in hand and produce inscribed lines were you want it
A lathe and a skew with a curved cutting edge - instant gratification
charlie b
Chainsaw with a new chain but I ran out of trees to cut.
# Fred # wrote:

Is your log cabin still standing? ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Oh. Chainsaw. I din't make the connection 'cause I was thinking woodWORKING . . . .
OK, I LOVE my new Husqvarna 455!
I'd run lots of other chainsaws, but never had the need for one of my own until a couple of weeks ago when a huge oak out back got blown down. I could have borrowed one, but any excuse for a new toy, right?
Now that the tree's cut into logs I'm trying to make lumber with a Logosol Timberjig: http://www.logosol.com/webb/sawmills/2002a-big_mill_timberjig.php
I've made two planks, but I obviously need a chain with a different cutting angle 'cause using the crosscut chain that came with the saw is TEDIOUSLY slow, and probably kinda hard on the saw.
But I'm making a LOT of sawdust!!!
Sure, I know the adage:
That carpenter is not the best Who makes more dust than all the rest
Oh yeah, it's not an adage, it's an old saw . . . .
-Don
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

I wish my moron neighbor liked chainsaws. One of his trees blew down 3 years ago. It's still there -- huge ugly thing attracting termites. He hasn't done anything with it. The lazy bastard. I need to buy some land somewhere, far from neighbors, then the only dipshit I'd have to put up with would be myself.
-
Tom Banes wrote:

An old Goodell-Pratt push drill.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

I bought a sweet old Bailey #3, with a Sweetheart blade, about 4 years ago. Didn't steal it, but the money was very well spent. That's a very nice sized plane.
The LN Adjustable Mouth block plane, 9 1/2, standard angle, is one of the finer tools in the Neander cabinet, and gets used on almost every project. More money well spent.
Patriarch

*snip*
I have a tendency to reach for my knife for a bunch of little jobs. Edges a little sharp? Wood wanting to peel away along the grain? Router leave a little raised area along the middle of a multi-pass cut?
The pocket knife's coming out to fix it.
Puckdropper

Table mounted router. Seems magical to run a board, upside down, across the table and find a shaped edge when you are done.
Close second is my Veritas block plane. When you take a couple of light passes, and a piece falls in place with the perfect fit, it is a rewarding experience.

My Jet cabinet saw mounted with a Forrest WWII and my Laguna band saw.
Because they to the job with repeatable results time after time with no bogging down during the cut regardless of the size or hardness of wood.
@swbell.net says...

Which reminds me:
My Jet _ _ _ band saw. Yes, that'd be the second nominee. A revelation after struggling with a Masport 18"x6" 3 wheeler P.o.S. for 20 years that couldn't cut a single thing straight or square.
I turn it on every excuse I get :-) Guess it still qualifies as 'new toy' after only a few months. A joy to use.
-Peter
I wish that I could sort of hang with the OP and talk about some really cool feeling I get with an old hand tool, but the first thing that comes to mind is my lathe..
I can turn a scrap 2x2" into shavings and kindling and get more pleasure and stress relief than a month of visits to a shrink..
The combination of spinning wood and a sharp piece of steel held against it, with shavings peeling off is just a really great feeling... Until cleanup time.. *g*

Mac
mac davis wrote:

I'd have to say the lathe is the most enjoyable for me too. A lot less stress too. If you make a goof, you just toss the piece in the trash. It's truly relaxing.
In contrast, when you're working on a large china cabinent/kitchen table for months and you make a goof, it becomes real stressful.
bf wrote:

That's when you learn to incorporate the goof into the design and call the whole thing "conceptual" and charge a fortune for it. No stress.
FoggyTown

yeah.... and the nice thing is that if you screw up bad enough on the lathe, it becomes "art".. *g*
As one who gets frustrated with not-quite-square corners or could-be-tighter joints, the freedom of form and such on the lathe is a definite plus.. Mac
Paslode framing nailer and Makita circular saw - it's not cabinet work.
Nail it down and cut off the overhang. It better be where you want it, because it's going to get fastened before you can change your mind.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.mail.airmail.net says...

Heh. That would have to be my Makita bisquit joiner. What a sweet little machine. Setting out the work is Zen, then you go Nii Nii Nii and the glue brush comes out. Beats the crap out of chiseling mortises or trying to accurately drill dowels. </rant> Did I mentions I don't like dowels? They always seem to fail after a while, be it chairs, be it tables - most repair work I do is failed dowels - I gave up using them 25 years ago </rant off>. Haven't had a bisquit jointed piece fail yet.
-Peter
Sun, Aug 13, 2006, 3:40pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.mail.airmail.net (TomBanes) doth question: <snip> What tool do you just like to use? <snip>
Chainsaw. Great precision carving tool.
JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.
Bosch sliding compound miter saw. I have this on a Rigid miter saw stand and love wheeling it out into the driveway when I need to make precise 90 degree cuts. My Grizzly bandsaw runs a close second since I replaced the tensioning knob with a crank.
Dick Durbin