To My Friends In South Texas This Evening

Page 10 of 10
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:48:10 -0600, the infamous Chris Friesen

A gas furnace is 25-40x cleaner than a fireplace or wood stove. Incandescent/fluor lamps put out no CO2 while an oil lamp does. Cars put out more CO2 than horse farts, but we're still ahead.
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson
Leon wrote:

Not really. If there is a problem it is the result of suddenly releasing a lot of carbon that was sequestered over millions of years. Trees are short term--burn them and plant new ones where the old ones were and the new ones store the same amount of carbon as the old ones released while being burned.

How do you figure?
: >> On 12/07/2009 11:15 AM, Leon wrote: : >> : >>> Really and truly none of the global warming/climate change malarkey : >>> came about until we started trying to clean up the environment and : >>> stop air pollution. For hundreds of years a lot of wood was : >>> always being burned for : >>> cooking and heating, no global warming problem then. : >> : >> As long as the rate of burning doesn't exceed the rate of growth, : >> burning wood for energy is carbon neutral. : > : > That sounds lile a fuzzy feels good formula. : : Not really. If there is a problem it is the result of suddenly releasing a : lot of carbon that was sequestered over millions of years. Trees are short : term--burn them and plant new ones where the old ones were and the new ones : store the same amount of carbon as the old ones released while being burned. : : >> 200 years ago the population of the planet was under a billion : >> people. Now it's 6x that. : > : > But every one was burning then not so now, actually few by contrast. : > : > : >> : >> From 1850 to 2000, the total energy consumption of the USA increased : >> by a factor of 50. Of course a large amount of that is due to : >> population increase, but the per-capita energy consumption has : >> increased roughly 4x over that period. : > : > So.. much cleaner energy consumption compared to way back when. : : How do you figure?
Do you really want him to answer that?
Dave in Houston :
J. Clarke wrote:

Thusly:
CO2 accounts for 0.0038% of the earth's atmosphere. If the total atmosphere can be compared to a football field (57,000 sq ft), the amount of CO2 in the air is roughly equivalent to the prostrate body of an official stabbed six times by irate fans because of three consecutive bad calls and the increase in CO2 is roughly the growing stain said official is leaving on the Astroturf as he bleeds out (23 sq ft).
CO2 in the atmosphere is part of a giant feedback loop. Plants are capturing it (principally ocean plants) and sequestering it naturally.
HeyBub wrote:

That's exactly the scenario I had come up with when I did the math! Wow, great minds...
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 12:05:38 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

After they oversold the Globular sWarming scare, the alarmists found that they got better mileage with "Climate Change". Nobody can dispute that it changes and they can still put their extreme spins on it.
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson
Leon wrote:

A Daffy Duck hair dryer? I want one of those! 'cept that by the time I get the thing unraveled, plugged in, and fired up, what little hair I have left would already be dry... :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I wish I had thouft to take pictures. something to show his kids one day. ;~) IIRC he got it for his 4th Christmas.

I think that's about right. The last big snow we had (for us...) was in '85 or so, and it snowed something like 12". With no snow tires, no snow equipment for the roads, no snow "stuff" at all, it was a wild time. I made a lot of money repairing those metal carports that are favored at apartment complexes as they simply collapsed under the weight of the snow.
<< I >> remember drinking a lot of coffee and watching the delighted kids make snowmen, throw snowballs, and make snow angels.
I remember how ugly it was when all that thawed out, too.
We can take 6" of water a day without much of a hitch. A string of 105F days is OK, too.
I was so damn thankful that snow missed us. They thought it would dust us a bit, but unless you were in the extreme north part of the city you didn't get anything.
However, I am expecting some fun pictures of my nephew playing in snow in sunny Houston soon. I am SURE he is enjoying the above mentioned activities to their fullest extent!
Helluva weather year, eh Leon?
We had 61 days over 100 degrees this summer, and another 17 at 100. Now just 2 1/2 months later, it's snowing! Cheer up though. I think next week it will be back in the 70s.
Wish I had a pic of you and your trusty Daffy Duck hair dryer at work..... ;^)
Robert
Leon wrote:

[Snow, Houston, December] Seventeen times since 1895. Never in consecutive years. Until now.
Tom Watson wrote:

Heh - I don't think I've ever seen this many people all in one place having so much difficulty saying "I don't know".
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote: