Titebond II followup

Page 2 of 2
On 7/1/2014 1:19 PM, Swingman wrote:

Like Larry, that should be III
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 7/1/2014 12:56 PM, dpb wrote:

You do have a point, half the price for the same issue. LOL
dpb wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

Just one of the reasons epoxy exists.
It's waterproof and with a slow hardener has a 25 minute pot life at 77F (25C).
Lew
On 7/1/2014 1:48 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

a 25 minute assembly time and you have mix epoxt
AND if needed TB III and the like glues can be reversed.
No thank you.
On 7/1/2014 2:48 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I've been switching back and forth to TB II and Elmers. Elmers for the longer glue up time.
I figure if Frank Klauz was using it, it had to be good enough.
BTW don't throw out that more viscous TB, I have been thinning TB for some applications, and it's great. Not as strong, but it's use is intended when the less viscous won't do.
--
Jeff

http://tinyurl.com/kew843y
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
On 7/1/2014 2:56 PM, Baxter wrote:

Because I need no longer setup time than TB extend and or TB# offers. That would be just one more glue to have to keep on hand. And FWIW I have had hide glue go bad too, and it is kinda messy, and it dries dark... ;~(
dpb wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Leon" wrote:

Words from the bard of Festool, "And unbelievable more expensive".
Guess "expensive" is a relative term; however, it helps to know how to buy.
Reverse a glue job?
Really?
Guess it takes all types.
BTW, it's possible to break an epoxy joint as long as it is still "green".
Lew

The big difference is that my Festool tools have paid for themselves time and again in time savings. I see no advantage to spending more for a glue that has no advantages for this type application.

Have you never repaired anything or had to make an adjustment 20 minutes into a glue up that required partial disassembly?

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 12:40:35 -0500, Leon wrote:

My contact was:

MY point is that your contact said no changes, mine said a different filler. Your contact says thin from settling, mine says thin from freezing.
And the bottle says *nothing* about thinning, only about thickening :-).
The inmates are running the asylum?
On 7/2/2014 4:32 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Yep. Starting from the highest levels of government, all the way down to the "manager" at your local grocery.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Keep in mind that we are only talking about TB products that feature an extended open time. TB 3 and TB2 Extend are the only ones with this issue that I have had problems with. TB advised that any of their blues are iffy after 2 years from production date. If your regular TB and TB 2 glues thicken before their 2 year life try banging the bottle against a solid object. Strangely enough this action will return the thick glob to a liquid almost immediately. Remember this only works on the regular open time glues.

On 7/4/2014 8:16 AM, Leon wrote:

Your typo could inspire a song.
Buddy Guy singing "I Got The Glues Blues".
Howlin Wolf "Your Glues Give Me the Blues"
Muddy Waters "Titebond Blues"
Country Western twist "My horse is glue and I'm blue"
On 7/4/2014 9:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

;~)

Yeah I suspected a story was sent to each of us to explain the reason for the thinning, right or wrong. Yesterday I received a quart bottle of TB3 from TB. It was packed in the box upside down. I immediately noticed that the contents at the bottom go the bottle was discolored in one location, lighter colored. I highly suspect that the discolored spot was a glob of the stuff that needs to be mixed back in, as recommended, before each use. The date code indicated that the bottle was filled about 10 weeks ago. So even shipped direct from the manufacturer one can expect to have to mix before use.
My conclusion is that TB glues with extended open times are good glues when properly mixed with each use. These glues, after some time of sitting on a shelf and no remixing of the contents, will most probably NOT perform, during assembly, as expected. I suspect that the longer the bottle has sat the less of an open time one can expect.
For me, is TB3 worth the extra expense and so much more trouble to observe the benefits? NO Same question for the less expensive extended open time products from TB? Maybe