Thought experiment

Page 3 of 3

On 9/8/2010 8:29 PM, Morgans wrote:

They're lucky to have a teacher like you!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

I'd guess most everyone here who read that had a similar thought.
Bill
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Belgians?

Nope, International Harvester and John Deere.
And I was referring to the equipment, not the draft animal.
Nothing like a good typo, eh?
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Tends to bring out the comedian.

A good typo brings out the comedian, no doubt.
I wonder what a good pun brings out?
I've never been able to figure out what _that_ type of critter should be called! <g>
In another group I have frequented for many years, I have seen pun threads (they didn't start out as such, but soon changed into that) that have gone on for over a week, with well over a hundred posts.
It is amazing as to the depths of depravity to which they can descend!
--
Jim in NC

wrote

Hissing!

There's no such thing as a 'good' pun. Only bad ones, and "truly terrible" ones. The distinction is that the former don't work, and the latter elicit groans (and worse).

Frequently something unprintable -- assuming you mean the perpetrator thereof.
Actually, one of the shop teachers at the high school I went to was an accomplished practitioner of that particular low art, and, in consequence, the ones that produced significant reactions were known as "Groenert"s.
(Note: although it is an example of the art form itself, it is the strict truth. It's not a case of 'life imitates Art' ,either -- hist fist name was Walter.)

Typos can lead to some really humorous threads, too. A number of years ago, in a 'home automatin' newsgroup, somebody _meant_ to ask about one of those weapons for reading UPC symbols and the like -- a 'bar code reader'. Unfortunately, he transposed te 2nd and 3rd letters of the first word. THAT hilarity went on for over two weeks, with comments ranging from the possible use for a long-range laser-powered one, for use at the beach, to a suggestion that this was an 'inappropriate use of technology' - some things were *MEANT* to be 'done manually'. As I recall, the thread ended when some genius opined that 'the accuracy of a bra-code reader is inversely proportional to the amount of free mammary.'

Not really. Praved roads are not well-suited for the formation of puns. We tend to go off the beaten track, onto macadam, gravel and other less- travelled routes. In _those_ situations, it's much easier to "make the pun-ishment fit the grime".
I've come up with my share of truly terrible ones, but for sheer creativity, I haven't seen anything that comes close to one that showed up in a high- end (i.e., Sunday NY Times level) _crossword_puzzle_, back in the 1970s. The answer was 16 characters long, and the clue read "Warning for Macbeth to flee as Burnham Wood advanced upon Dunsinane."
The solution turned out to be:
C H E E S E I T T H E C O P S E
As such things go, it's a brilliant construct -- an exact phonetic match.
OTOH, I'm not sure _what_ to think of the warped mind that came up with the Shakespeare connection.
On Sep 11, 9:47pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Yes you have.
*respectfully tipping my hat*
An accomplished punster can clear a room.
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:47:27 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

There are only two types of puns: coughers and groaners. Bad puns aren't worthy of much response, so you cough and pretend you didn't hear it. Good puns bring groans to your lips in a hurry.
-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's still awfully hard to tighten a Phillips-head screw with a fern.
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:41:56 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"
<a lot of snipping of a post I'm appreciative of>

Yes, my thinking as far as those tools vs my own tools isn't so much being limited as to what I could do but more that I have never touched those particular tools before, and they probably aren't very good. I haven't set up that table saw so I don't even know if the thing will cut square. If I'm going to work fast I don't want to have to be double checking everything. Looking at the results they were getting I'm pretty confident I would have chucked that jigsaw across the field after trying it out, at the very least the blade in it wasn't meant for plywood. I'd want some time to at least find out what the tools can and can't do before being timed with em.
Business has picked up the last couple months and I find myself starting to have less time than orders, which is a good thing. It's supposed to be "slow" right now so I can build inventory for the holiday shopping, but right now I am not gaining on it. So working smarter and faster is a subject near and dear at the moment. The "I don't have enough space/clamps/etc" excuses only count for so much, the limiting factor is still me. At the end of the day I have what I have and it has to get done.
-Kevin
Another reply that needs to be saved to the archives.
Excellent.