thinning water based poly with alcohol

I just saw an article in Wood magazine where the author used denatured alcohol to "thin" water based poly claiming it allows bubbles to disperse etc.
Has anyone tried this technique yet? If so, did you brush or spray?
Thanks,
Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker www.woodworkinghobby.com

I haven't heard of the denatured alcohol method, but I read in one of the woodworking rags where "half & half" coffee creamer worked well to disperse bubble. That one I did try and was very pleased with the results.
The formula was up to 1 ounce of "half & half" to a quart of water based poly. I use a foam brush to apply. It worked for me, but YMMV.
Joe
Dennis wrote:

What scares me about that article is that the differences from brand to brand in WB chemistry are not mentioned. I'd do serious testing with a specific brand before applying it to something I cared about. Most WB products have complex chemistry that doesn't take well to freelancing.
On the other hand, I have mixed 30% latex paint with ML Campbell Ultrastar, to create a pigmented lacquer, which I then sprayed with excellent results.

I have always thought magazine finishers are pretty dangerous. Great for some things, horrible for others.

Assuming you applied with your HVLP, did you thin before application? If so, do you remember roughly how much and with what?
Do you remember which aircap you used?
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

~30% Pratt & Lambert paint to ~70% Ultrastar.
I actually sprayed the test panels with a Critter, so I'm sure a #3 0r #4 setup would work fine with a pressurized suction gun.
I tried it on a whim after a friend read about someone doing it with either Hood or Target WB lacquer.
Dennis wrote:

I just pop the bubbles with a torch. Water poly or epoxy. Not sure I would with oil poly, definitely wouldn't with lacquer :)
--

dadiOH

Alcohol will turn some water based products into threads. Long thin threads.. like poly-ester. If there is any acidic content, the alcohol will cause you lots of problems. You run the risk of esterification.
I would do a lot of testing and if the mixture doesn't curdle, re- visit your test over the course of a couple of years.