Thinking of getting a new TS, Right tilt or Left tilt?

It sounds like I have already made my choice, I wish! ;~) First choice was the pro SawStop, then the Laguna, and now the Industrial....

Reply to
Leon

That absolutely appealed to me, the Pro SawStop actually looked like it was smaller than my current saw. Perhaps the black paint vs the white paint on my saw makes it look smaller. The industrial really looked larger than 3 inches.

You are smart to have

To the tune of about $1K

I can choose more HP although what I have, 3hp, will cut through a piece of 5" thick Ipe with no hesitation, 2 passes, one on each side. Perhaps if the saw was running 8 hours a day every day I would step up to 5hp. But for me it is pointless.

Reply to
Leon

Seems to me that Forrest will modify blades for arbor size, etc. Might be worth checking with them about this if that is one of the things keeping a saw off the possibilities list.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Leon wrote in news:eIGdnW2J0_nVr9 snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

*trim*

Sometimes it's all about where that 3 inches is. I'd love to have another

3" behind the blade on my saw, as it is almost any cut requires some sort of outfeed table.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Unless you're dead-set on getting the sawstop technology, the Laguna is a no-brainer to me. If money isn't the real factor here, Laguna is just a muc h better machine, don't you think?

I am a SS owner so surely some bias and I take nothing away from Laguna, th ey make good stuff. However, I have looked closely at all the saws out ther e and SS is not just an OK saw with a safety feature. It really is one of t he best saws being built at that price, even with the extra cost for the br ake.

For instance, I have used lots of Unisaws and PMs. The older ones are both reliable but quirky. The new ones were just not very impressive to me. Lots of short cuts in manufacturing and materials. The Laguna is great if you a re doing cabinets and working with big sheets. Honestly, even the smoothest sliding table is more hassle than worth (in my experience) unless you need help with a large panel and maybe for cutting door parts. The SS is built right and works good and I think is a better saw than PM or Delta and as go od as a Laguna except maybe in a super heavy duty cycle but maybe the Indus trial matches up there also(of course I do own one so prideplays into some component of this opinion).

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

no-brainer to me. If money isn't the real factor here, Laguna is just a much better machine, don't you think?

The SawStop technology was the primary reason to upgrade but I trading what I have I want to get more than just the technology. No doubt the Laguna is a good saw but I feel probably much better than I need. I do cut lots of panels but have already got a solution for cutting panels on a table using a track saw. So while the slider would be nice I think it would take some getting use to and I typically have help with lifting panels.

make good stuff. However, I have looked closely at all the saws out there and SS is not just an OK saw with a safety feature. It really is one of the best saws being built at that price, even with the extra cost for the brake.

Well surly you are biased but from every thing I have heard and read, you rightly so.

I recall the PM66 and it's massive trunnion, I got the same feel when looking inside the Industrial SS. I think other than the technology and the riving knife that the Pro version would be a lateral move for me that will cost a little over $3K. I think with the industrial and an extra $1K I get to actually move up in other areas too, bigger table.

reliable but quirky. The new ones were just not very impressive to me. Lots of short cuts in manufacturing and materials. The Laguna is great if you are doing cabinets and working with big sheets. Honestly, even the smoothest sliding table is more hassle than worth (in my experience) unless you need help with a large panel and maybe for cutting door parts. The SS is built right and works good and I think is a better saw than PM or Delta and as good as a Laguna except maybe in a super heavy duty cycle but maybe the Industrial matches up there also(of course I do own one so prideplays into some component of this opinion).

Thank you again for you points of view, I do appreciate the candid comments.

Reply to
Leon

Understood, but I was not even considering the area behind the blade. ;~)

Actallly it is .75" more in front of the blade, full up and 2.5" more behind the blade, full up.

The back rail that supports the right extension table is about 3/16" thick angle iron. Push come to shove I can build and hang an extension off of that and perhaps add my rollers. Maybe.

Reply to
Leon

I am sure they could and that would be fine for my single blades. It would not be possible with a stacked dado set as the blades must be off set from each other so that their teeth will not touch one another.

The Felder/Hammer blades had 3 holes, the typical arbor hole plus 2 on both sides of the hole. Once mounted on the arbor with or with out the arbor nut if you turn the blade the motor turns too. The set up works like a key on a motor shaft to keep the pulley from spinning. those saw are really designed to have only 1 blade or cutter mounted at one time.

Reply to
Leon