There Is a Portable

...manual typewriter that must have belonged to Jack Bobbitt that is getting in the way. Does Andrew want it? It has a case and works fine... Anne or Suzi might want it but I'm not willing to go to the effort of shipping it out for them..

larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

ooops!! Senior Moment there folks

larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Thank God you cleared that up. Thought i was having one of my own Senior moments reading that :)

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

I've been having senior moments since the end of 11th grade :) :)

Reply to
mc

Reply to
Charlie Self

There was an article in The Oregonian about a new trend among the younger writers in returning to the manual typewriters. Might Andrew, Anne and Suzi be heading in that direction?

I can certainly understand the tactile and audio-satisfaction in using a typewriter - I've hung onto a pristine glossy jet black Royal portable that my father-in-law gave me years ago. However, correcting mistakes and doing spell-checks is much easier on the newfangled 'putermajig.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote in news:9GZQe.317535$xm3.113865@attbi_s21:

Just out of curiosity - let us know if *anyone* wants a manual typewriter. I learned to type on manuals, graduated to Selectrics.

But with a used 800MHz PC avaliable today for $99, I'm not sure why anyone would prefer a typewriter -- for typing.

Hmmm - are they even still made?

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Brought back memories of one of my younger careers when I got out of the service, in the O&G business, out in some farmer's field typing oil leases on the tailgate of my truck with a Smith Corona portable.

I tried to explain that to my 20 year old college sophomore daughter recently and she was just as baffled by the concept as she was the first time she and her friends first saw a 45 record and spent ten minutes looking for the button that opened the tray on the record player.

Reply to
Swingman

I read somewhere a couple years ago that one manufacturer still made manual typewriters, but that may be over by now. I learned,sort of, one a manual, but polished my skills on an IBM Selectric that lasted one helluva long time (wore the type of two bouncing balls). I was absolutely delighted when I could finally afford a KayPro II and a Juki daisy wheel printer back around '83 or so.

Reply to
Charlie Self

The Kaypro II (and I) I have used, and the Juki, and the Selectric...=20 (Osborne, Apple II , Dynabyte, Altair, Datapoint etc.)

Had to be reminded about the Juki.

Am I dating myself?

Better check my shelf life...

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

According to the newspaper article, Olivetti out of Italy is the only maker still producing manual typewriters.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Fly-by-Night CC wrote: and Suzi be heading in that direction?

I used to use a typewriter, but I never could find one that could spell. I can spell just fine, but when what I wanted to say got onto the paper it was all wrong.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill