The tyrany of distance or why a bargain is not alwaya so

Hi rec-ers, A reverse Gloat. When the local wood working road show was last in town I spotted what I thought was a bargain. I had been eyeing the Delta table saw tenoning jig for a while in the timber cattledogs. That fall into my grasp from time to time. While crawling around the show I spotted what I thought was a bargain - said tenoning jig for $89.00 AUD. The sales guy said they were cheap because the slide for the mitre slot was an odd size. This was of little concern to me because my faithful old Durden Commination 10" saw & jointer has an odd ball slot any how. I snapped it up and rushed back to the shop to see how it would go with one of my custom made slides attached. Shock horror when I placed it onto the saw top I noted the timber clamping face plate was 2.5mm out of parallel to the mitre slide. After analysing the construction I cannot see a suitable solution to this manufacturing fault. ( Chinese after market copy).
Ok lets return it. After 3 wks and four phone calls to Timbecon, of Perth, Western Australia. ( I am in Adelaide South Australia). They finally agree to to credit the cost upon return of item. Tempoary relief. Then I realize the cost to return the item will be at my cost. The cheapest quote is $25.00 with out insurance.
Lesson never buy from a company 2692KM from your shop, unless you are confident that the goods are from a "reputable Brand" and not faulty.
-- Best regards
Lew Hylton
State Manager (S.A.)
Austpac Transportation Services (VIC) Pty Ltd 1 College St, Port Adelaide, S.A. 5015 Tel: 08 84472111 Fax: 08 84472999 Email:
All information contained in this document or its attachments is privileged and confidential and intended for the person to which it is addressed only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail immediately. Any confidentiality,privilege or copyright is not waived or lost because this e-mail has been sent to you in error. It is your responsibility to check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses.